|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
2. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
(a) conflict ridden
3. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
4. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
5. Motor functions are performed at the _________ of the brain.
(b) left side
(c) right side
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
2. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
3. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
4. According to Gould, science must be viewed in its ________ context since culture and environment also influence facts and theories.
5. What means there is some sort of ordering that is used in assigning individuals to their relevant spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gould want to study in relation to the science related to the arguments for biological determinism?
2. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
3. What did David Hume believe about white men?
4. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
5. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
6. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
7. What were some of the additional factors Gratiolet studied in order to determine the effect of brain size?
8. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
9. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
10. What did Blumenbach believe the anatomical structure differences between blacks and whites were the result of?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)