|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
(a) Racial ranking staff
(b) Soft liners
(c) Red liners
(d) Hard liners
2. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
3. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
4. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
5. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
Short Answer Questions
1. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
2. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
3. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
4. Which view was based on the idea that inferior races can not be linked to the whites because they started from a separate group of DNA and people?
5. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
2. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
3. How is biological determinism used in regards to the measurement of intelligence of people in society?
4. What is the special designation that craniometry holds in relation to the study of ranking and intelligence?
5. What did David Hume believe about white men?
6. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
7. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
8. What does Gunnar Myrdal have to say about the situation of ranking people in society?
9. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
10. What did Robert Bennett Bean study as an investigator into craniometry?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)