|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
(d) conflict ridden
2. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
3. The main question becomes, can ________ change the status of the inferior group?
4. Science means looking for the ________ based on facts.
5. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
2. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
3. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
4. Which race was ranked last in the eyes of the practitioners of racial ranking?
5. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
2. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
3. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
4. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
5. Define the idea of monogenism.
6. Describe and define the idea of biological determinism.
7. Define the idea of polygenism.
8. What were the results of Bean's work, as he found the differences between the races and the genders?
9. How is biological determinism used in regards to the measurement of intelligence of people in society?
10. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)