|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
(a) biological destiny
(b) biological evolution
(c) biological determinism
(d) biological transfiguration
2. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
3. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
4. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
5. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
2. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
3. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
4. People with ______ had smaller brain sizes than those who were suddenly killed in accidents.
5. What did Gould see Broca had formed before he ever started his research?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Havelock Ellis' major claim in his study of the measurement of bodies in order to determine value?
2. What were the three rules Binet set up to help prevent the misuse of his test?
3. What does Gould say is one of the reasons for the failure of biological determinism?
4. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
5. What does Gould say is invaluable about his book in regards to debunking theory?
6. Define the idea of polygenism.
7. What did Blumenbach believe the anatomical structure differences between blacks and whites were the result of?
8. What does Gunnar Myrdal have to say about the situation of ranking people in society?
9. Define the idea of correlation.
10. What does Gould feel most of the errors in these discussed studies were the result of?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)