|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
2. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary and Race
(b) Hereditary Genius
(c) Hereditary Genus
(d) Hereditary Explorations
3. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
4. What means there is some sort of ordering that is used in assigning individuals to their relevant spot?
(b) Scientific study
(c) Theoretic discourse
5. According to Gould, science must be viewed in its ________ context since culture and environment also influence facts and theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
2. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
3. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
4. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
5. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
2. Define the idea of monogenism.
3. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
4. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
5. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
6. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
7. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
8. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
9. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
10. What did David Hume believe about white men?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)