|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
2. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary Genius
(b) Hereditary Genus
(c) Hereditary and Race
(d) Hereditary Explorations
3. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
(d) growth stages
4. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
5. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
2. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
3. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
4. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
5. Motor functions are performed at the _________ of the brain.
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the idea of polygenism.
2. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
3. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
4. Describe and define the idea of biological determinism.
5. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
6. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
7. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
8. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
9. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
10. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)