|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did craniometry first appear in the study of intelligence?
(a) Late 19th century
(b) Last 18th century
(c) Early 19th century
(d) Early 18th century
2. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
3. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
(b) study conditions
(c) data sets
(d) scientific questions
4. The answer to #48 also said that adult blacks were like _______________.
(b) white adolescents
(c) white children
(d) black children
5. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
(b) Crania Americana
(c) Crania Inca
(d) Crania Astounda
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
2. The main question becomes, can ________ change the status of the inferior group?
3. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
4. Science means looking for the ________ based on facts.
5. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did David Hume believe about white men?
2. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
3. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
4. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
5. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
6. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
7. What did Robert Bennett Bean study as an investigator into craniometry?
8. Define the idea of polygenism.
9. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
10. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)