|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Broca's numbers were based on his ______________, according to Gould.
2. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
(a) Racial ranking experts
(b) Hard liners
(c) Red liners
(d) Soft liners
3. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
(a) black race
(b) white child
(c) white female
(d) white race
4. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(b) proper graphs
(d) the right sums
5. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
2. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
3. If inferiority is cultural, then it can be changed by __________ factors
4. What does Socrates believe all people should be?
5. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
2. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
3. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
4. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
5. Define the idea of monogenism.
6. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
7. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
8. What is the special designation that craniometry holds in relation to the study of ranking and intelligence?
9. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
10. What does Gunnar Myrdal have to say about the situation of ranking people in society?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)