|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
2. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
3. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
4. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
5. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
2. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
3. The answer to #48 also said that adult blacks were like _______________.
4. The main question becomes, can ________ change the status of the inferior group?
5. Socrates' friend does not believe his ideas, saying that it is a lie and that ________ generations won't believe it, but ________ generations might.
Short Essay Questions
1. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
2. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
3. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
4. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
5. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
6. What were some of the additional factors Gratiolet studied in order to determine the effect of brain size?
7. Describe and define the idea of biological determinism.
8. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
9. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
10. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)