|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bean compared the _______ of blacks and whites to prove his view of the inferiority of blacks.
(a) arm lengths
2. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
3. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary Genius
(b) Hereditary Genus
(c) Hereditary and Race
(d) Hereditary Explorations
4. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
5. What did Gould see Broca had formed before he ever started his research?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
2. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
3. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
4. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
5. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
2. What does Gunnar Myrdal have to say about the situation of ranking people in society?
3. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
4. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
5. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
6. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
7. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
8. What did Blumenbach believe the anatomical structure differences between blacks and whites were the result of?
9. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
10. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)