|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
2. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will become revolutionary.
(b) Society will remain stable.
(c) Society will become enlightened.
(d) Society will stop changing.
3. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
4. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
5. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
2. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
3. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
4. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
5. Socrates' friend does not believe his ideas, saying that it is a lie and that ________ generations won't believe it, but ________ generations might.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Robert Bennett Bean study as an investigator into craniometry?
2. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
3. How is biological determinism used in regards to the measurement of intelligence of people in society?
4. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
5. What does Gould want to study in relation to the science related to the arguments for biological determinism?
6. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
7. What did David Hume believe about white men?
8. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
9. What were the results of Bean's work, as he found the differences between the races and the genders?
10. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)