|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
(a) understood, appreciated
(b) repeated, agreed with
(c) idolized, copied
(d) repeated, refuted
2. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(d) Cranial-sacral therapy
3. People with ______ had smaller brain sizes than those who were suddenly killed in accidents.
(a) low iron
4. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
(a) World Fair
(b) His home
(c) International Exposition
(d) Nobel Prize banquet
5. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
(c) scientific researchers
(d) data sets
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gould see Broca had formed before he ever started his research?
2. It was thought that black brains could not ____________ or absorb information.
3. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
4. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
5. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the idea of polygenism.
2. What does Gunnar Myrdal have to say about the situation of ranking people in society?
3. What were some of the additional factors Gratiolet studied in order to determine the effect of brain size?
4. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
5. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
6. What is the special designation that craniometry holds in relation to the study of ranking and intelligence?
7. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
8. Describe and define the idea of biological determinism.
9. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
10. What did David Hume believe about white men?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)