|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
2. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(a) No one
3. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
4. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(b) Cranial-sacral therapy
5. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
2. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
3. Which view was based on the story of Adam and Eve?
4. Paul Broca was a professor of surgery in what city?
5. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
2. What does Gould logically assume to be true in relation to the contents of the brain?
3. What is the special designation that craniometry holds in relation to the study of ranking and intelligence?
4. What were Broca's numbers based upon, according to Gould's examination of his studies?
5. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
6. What does Gould have to say about science in relation to the facts it collects?
7. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
8. In the opening of this book, Gould quotes Socrates as saying all people should be educated and that they will belong to whom in order for society to remain stable?
9. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
10. What were the results of Bean's work, as he found the differences between the races and the genders?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)