|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Experts claimed it was no good to __________ blacks.
(c) listen to
2. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
(a) scientific questions
(c) data sets
(d) study conditions
3. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
4. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary and Race
(b) Hereditary Genius
(c) Hereditary Genus
(d) Hereditary Explorations
5. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
(c) conflict ridden
Short Answer Questions
1. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
2. Who were like white adolescents?
3. Science means looking for the ________ based on facts.
4. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
5. Louis Pierre Gratiolet wanted to prove that __________ brains were bigger than __________ brains.
Short Essay Questions
1. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
2. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
3. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
4. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
5. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
6. What did Blumenbach believe the anatomical structure differences between blacks and whites were the result of?
7. What did Robert Bennett Bean study as an investigator into craniometry?
8. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
9. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
10. What were the results of Bean's work, as he found the differences between the races and the genders?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)