|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the mill, with Shirley in tow?
2. Violet and Sunny leave the office in what mood?
3. Violet goes through the index and finds a chapter on what?
4. Violet screams the release word and Klaus does what?
5. Violet is shocked when Dr. Orwell tells the children what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sir and Charles like, in chapter 10, as opposed to how it is described earlier in the book?
2. What are the children's first impressions of Dr. Orwell and how do they compare with your own impressions of the doctor.
3. Where do Violet and Sunny go, after leaving Sir's office, and what do they do when they get there?
4. Describe Klaus' odd behavior, in chapter 7 as a whole and how the Foreman reacts to it at the end of the chapter. What might everything all together indicate?
5. Who do you think is the hero of the battle in chapter 12 and why?
6. What is the process of how Violet finds the answer in the library and what is the answer that she finds?
7. How do Phil's attitude and the Foreman's attitude about the stamp machine incident contrast?
8. What could possibly be causing Klaus' strange behavior, in the start of chapter 7?
9. What happens as Violet is trying to stop Klaus using one of the secret words, "lucky?"
10. Explain the significance of the phrase "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" in chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The children in the story have clearly been through a lot. Choose any two of the following questions about them and answer them in detail, using examples from the book.
Which of the three children is the strongest and why?
Which of the three children is the weakest and why?
Which of the three children is the smartest and why?
Which character in the book has hurt or betrayed the children the most and why?
Essay Topic 2
Based on what you know from the book, define each of the following characters as good, bad or neutral and explain your answers:
3. Mr. Poe
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed essay about which one of the characters from the book was your favorite and why. Use at least four examples of things that character did in the book to back up your answer.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)