|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Violet learns that what can be used to get a person to perform a task under hypnosis?
2. Violet and Sunny are not easily fooled by whom?
3. The woman in the waiting room wears a bad what on her head?
4. What part of Phil's body does he break?
5. The Count and the Foreman succeed in stopping whom from helping Charles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Sunny play in the chapter 12 battle?
2. What is the process of how Violet finds the answer in the library and what is the answer that she finds?
3. Explain the significance of the phrase "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" in chapter 8.
4. Describe Violet in the library. What about her personality and attitude helps her there and what hurts her. How is that similar to students who have to research in real life?
5. How does Violet realize what the secret word to completely release Klaus from his trance is and when does she use it?
6. How does Violet handle confronting the count and do you agree or disagree with her reaction.
7. What is known so far about Count Olaf and which people in the story he is working with?
8. Who do you think is the hero of the battle in chapter 12 and why?
9. What happens to Klaus at his second trip to the eye doctor?
10. What are the children's first impressions of Dr. Orwell and how do they compare with your own impressions of the doctor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use several examples from the book to back up your responses to the following two questions:
1. Which two characters in the book do you think were most similar to each other and why?
2. Which two characters in the book do you think were most different from each other and why?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Orwell plays a major role in the book, especially at the end.
1. Describe Dr. Orwell and her role in the story in detail.
2. Why do you think Dr. Orwell was so easily persuaded by Count Olaf to hypnotize Klaus?
3. What might the story have been like if Dr. Orwell was not present?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed essay about which one of the characters from the book was your favorite and why. Use at least four examples of things that character did in the book to back up your answer.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)