|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else is in the office when Violet tells Sir about the Count's plot?
2. This routine is broken by what?
3. Every time Foreman Flacutono tells Klaus to do something, he uses what word?
4. Violet and Sunny walk into the library and pick up Dr. Orwell's book, called what?
5. Klaus obediently begins operating the large machine and everyone else begins doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Violet is trying to stop Klaus using one of the secret words, "lucky?"
2. What realization does Klaus make on the way to the eye doctor for the second time? Also, why doesn't that realization help him at the time?
3. What is the process of how Violet finds the answer in the library and what is the answer that she finds?
4. What role does Sunny play in the chapter 12 battle?
5. Explain the significance of the phrase "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" in chapter 8.
6. Where do Violet and Sunny go, after leaving Sir's office, and what do they do when they get there?
7. How does Count Olaf's plan start to come together at the end of chapter 11?
8. How do the children's general states of mind change, in chapter 10, and why?
9. What are the children's first impressions of Dr. Orwell and how do they compare with your own impressions of the doctor.
10. Describe Violet in the library. What about her personality and attitude helps her there and what hurts her. How is that similar to students who have to research in real life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the following topics and write a detailed essay about how it affects the story:
Essay Topic 2
List three sections of the book that used symbolism and how it was used in each of those sections.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and write a detailed profile of what they look like and how they act throughout the book. Be sure to use several specific parts of the story to support your descriptions.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)