|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. the foreman wakes everyone by banging two what together?
2. Where is the doctor's office?
3. After they eat, who tells the children that they must report to a meeting?
4. The children are going to be staying in what town?
5. Who tries to comfort the girls, while they wait for Klaus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the library and how the children feel about it.
2. What is the food situation like at the mill? What does it mean to the children and the other workers?
3. Explain the symbolism of the dormitory window.
4. What do you think about the girls staring at the drawing of a window, while waiting for Klaus?
5. How is the dormitory described and how do the children react to it?
6. What opinion do the children have about Count Olaf, in chapter 5, and do you agree with it?
7. Do the workers respect the foreman?
8. Describe Foreman Flacutono.
9. Describe the major change in the plot line, in chapter 6.
10. Describe the reception the children receive when they first get to the lumbermill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite several examples from the story in order to answer the following questions:
Which character are the children most afraid of and why?
Which character contributes the least to the story and why?
Which character contributes the most to the story and why?
Essay Topic 2
Paltryville, and especially the mill, are, as the book title suggests, miserable.
Part 1: How do you feel that the miserable surroundings influenced the attitudes of the children?
Part 2: Did the surroundings seem to affect other characters and, if so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think would have changed had Sunny not been in the book? Describe at least two scenes that you think would change, as a result of her absence.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)