|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the children sleep, initially?
2. Klaus thinks that the children could learn more lessons from what than from working in the mill?
3. The children sit down to share what first meal with the workers?
4. What is the dinner that everyone shares?
5. When Violet, Klaus and Sunny open the gate to the lumbermill, they find what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town of Paltryville.
2. Who is Charles and how might he be helpful tot he children?
3. Describe Mr. Poe's relationship with the children.
4. What would you do if you were one of the children and were left alone in Paltryville by Mr. Poe?
5. Describe the reception the children receive when they first get to the lumbermill.
6. Describe Foreman Flacutono.
7. What observations can you make about Foreman Flacutono's actions in chapter 5?
8. How does Charles raise the Children's hopes after the meeting?
9. How is the dormitory described and how do the children react to it?
10. Do the workers respect the foreman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the following topics and write a detailed essay about how it affects the story:
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the children are basically enslaved in the mill by Sir and the Foreman.
1. If you were in the children's position, would you have tried to escape. If so, when and how. If not, why not?
2. Do you think that modern day children are still enslaved in some ways? Why or why not? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
Which of the children do you feel was most influential in the book? Use examples from the story to explain why. Which were least influential? Explain what they could have done to become more useful or interesting.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)