|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. the foreman wakes everyone by banging two what together?
2. Who is escorting the children, as the book opens?
(a) Mr. Poe
(b) Mr. Panders
(c) Mr. Penny
(d) Mr. Pue
3. Dinner was described as what?
4. The foreman first calls the children what?
(a) New recruits
5. Although the girls are happy that Klaus has returned, they are upset by what?
(a) The Foreman putting them back to work as soon as Klaus returns
(b) Klaus disappearing a second time
(c) The Foreman keeping them from seeing Klaus
(d) Klaus' strange behavior
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Charles hear the children protesting Klaus leaving?
2. What does Charles give to the children?
3. The girls finally decide to wait for Klaus where?
4. What is the guardian's preferred method of communication?
5. Who must the children meet with, after they eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first day of work for the children.
2. Describe the major change in the plot line, in chapter 6.
3. Explain the symbolism of the dormitory window.
4. What opinion do the children have about Count Olaf, in chapter 5, and do you agree with it?
5. Describe the three children, briefly.
6. Do you think it was right for Mr. Poe to leave the children alone at the station in Paltryville? Why or why not?
7. What do you think about the girls staring at the drawing of a window, while waiting for Klaus?
8. How is the dormitory described and how do the children react to it?
9. Describe the town of Paltryville.
10. Describe the exchange between Violet and Klaus when Klaus returns to the dormitory after being at the eye doctor's office.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)