|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The foreman first calls the children what?
(b) New recruits
2. What is the foreman's name?
3. Klaus is surprised that there is what in such a small town?
(a) An orthopedic surgeon
(b) A cardiologist
(c) A dentist
(d) An eye doctor
4. Everything about the children's new home seems what?
5. For some reason, days have worn by without a single sighting of whom?
(a) The Foreman
(c) The Count
(d) Mr. Poe
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the employees of the mill look at life?
2. Who must the children meet with, after they eat?
3. At the end of the chapter, as they prepare for their meeting, the children begin to wonder what kind of a man who is?
4. Although the girls are happy that Klaus has returned, they are upset by what?
5. The girls finally decide to wait for Klaus where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is foreshadowing used in chapter two?
2. What does the mention of the gum in chapter 3 help to explain from earlier in the story?
3. Describe the reception the children receive when they first get to the lumbermill.
4. What do you think about the girls staring at the drawing of a window, while waiting for Klaus?
5. What is the guardian of the children described as being like up to the end of chapter 4?
6. Describe the major change in the plot line, in chapter 6.
7. What opinion do the children have about Count Olaf, in chapter 5, and do you agree with it?
8. How does the eye come into play again in chapter 5?
9. What would you do if you were one of the children and were left alone in Paltryville by Mr. Poe?
10. Do you think the library will affect the rest of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)