|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shay decide to pretend to be Brandy until the mirror arrives at the cabin?
2. Who is Joshua?
3. What is the name of Shay's family home?
4. Where is Corbin and Tim when Main Street is destroyed?
5. Where does Brandy and her family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shay prove she is not crazy in Part I Chapter 16?
2. What does Shay decide to write down in Part I Chapter 14?
3. Describe Corbin's cabin and Thora, who Shay meets at the cabin.
4. What does Thora K accuse Shay of in Part I Chapter 19, and why?
5. Who is Grandma Bran, and how does she react when she sees the mirror in Part I Chapter 1?
6. What does Shay wonder about women in Part I Chapter 17?
7. What happens to John McCabe in Part I Chapter 14?
8. How does Corbin react to Brandy's strange behavior?
9. What public figure dies in Part I Chapter 19 and how does Thora K react to the death?
10. How is the news of Brandy's body's pregnancy received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Marlys Millhiser. What other works has she received recognition for? Is her work usually similarly-themed? Does she always write in the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "The Mirror". Describe the families of Shay and Brandy. Is family important to the protagonists? How do they cope with being separated from their families?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Brandy and Shay throughout the novel. How do they deal with these obstacles and how do they overcome them? What causes these problems for them?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)