|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shay's last name?
2. Who is assassinated in Part 1 Chapter 19?
3. Who does Shay learn is dead in Part 1 Chapter 16?
4. What does Shay wonder about in Part 1 Chapter 17?
5. What does Thora K reveal of her family background in Part 1 Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Shay briefly inhabits her own body in Part I Chapter 15?
2. What duties is Shay responsible for at the cabin in Part I Chapter 9?
3. What does the reader learn of the history of the mirror in Backward?
4. What happens when Shay gives birth in Part I Chapter 19?
5. Who are the main characters of the novel, and what is their connection to one another?
6. How does Corbin react to Brandy's strange behavior?
7. What does Shay reveal to Thora K in Part I Chapter 17?
8. What happens when Hutch Maddon is thrown from his horse in Part I Chapter 13?
9. Describe Corbin's cabin and Thora, who Shay meets at the cabin.
10. What does Shay learn about Thora in Part I Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "The Mirror". How does Millhiser illustrate the motif of death in the novel? Who dies in the novel? How do they die? What is the significance of each death?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the marriages between Shay and Corbin, Shay and Hutch and Rachael and Jerry. Do they love and respect each other? Are these marriages happy ones? What are some obstacles that they face as couples?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of women during the two time periods in which the novel is set (early 1900's and 1970's). How do the differences in how women are regarded and treated in these two time periods impact Brandy and Shay?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)