|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Shay asks to return to Nederland in Part 1 Chapter 16, what does Sophie offer her?
(a) A chance to escape to a relative's house in the country.
(b) A family heirloom.
(c) Some womanly advice.
(d) The option of divorce.
2. Who do Thora K and Shay see a phantom of in Part 1 Chapter 18?
(b) May Bell.
3. How long had Bran been silent for before speaking in Part 1 Chapter 1?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Four months.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Three weeks.
4. Where does Corbin live?
(a) In Boulder.
(b) In Netherfield.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In Nederland.
5. What happens in Part 1 Chapter 17 when Shay is walking down Main Street?
(a) Two carriages collide.
(b) A man has a heart attack.
(c) May Bell's house catches on fire.
(d) Shay gets a sharp pain in her side and faints.
6. What does the doctor assure Corbin in Part 1 Chapter 9?
(a) That Brandy is dying.
(b) That Brandy will live a long life.
(c) That Brandy is not a virgin.
(d) That Brandy is a virgin.
7. Where is Corbin and Tim when Main Street is destroyed?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In the mine.
(c) At home.
(d) In the fields.
8. Who is Jerry?
(a) Shay's father.
(b) Shay's boyfriend.
(c) Shay's uncle.
(d) Shay's brother.
9. Why does Shay decide to pretend to be Brandy until the mirror arrives at the cabin?
(a) To avoid being institutionalized.
(b) Shay hopes to trick Corbin into falling in love with her.
(c) Brandy seems to have a more interesting life than Shay does.
(d) To see what life is like in those days.
10. What does Thora K reveal of her family background in Part 1 Chapter 12?
(a) Her father had a mistress for his entire married life.
(b) She married a Norwegian.
(c) Her grandmother was a prostitute.
(d) She had six brothers that died in their childhood.
11. Where does Brandy and her family live?
(a) Tampa, Florida.
(b) Boulder, Colorado.
(c) Denver, Colorado.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
12. Where does Hutch invite Shay in Part 1 Chapter 20?
(a) To his home for Sunday dinner.
(b) To his farm fields to admire his crops.
(c) For a walk down Main Street.
(d) For a ride on his wagon.
13. What does Shay ridicule Corbin about in Part 1 Chapter 6?
(a) His strange attire.
(b) His accent.
(c) His bad attitude about attending church.
(d) Giving a gift to a prostitute.
14. Who lands at Shay's feet during the rodeo?
(a) May Bell.
(b) Hutch Maddon.
(c) An injured child.
15. Who does Shay see when she staggers towards a house in Part 1 Chapter 15?
(a) An old man with a white beard.
(b) An elderly couple in matching sweaters.
(c) A small child wearing a bright red coat.
(d) A young woman hanging clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shay inadvertently reveal to Thora K in Part 1 Chapter 17?
2. What does Shay decide in the Interim?
3. Who does Shay encounter on the way to get Samuel Williams' clothes?
4. What does Shay forget to do in Part 1 Chapter 10?
5. Why did Corbin marry Brandy?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)