|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Within what experience does Marin say people's truest selves are found?
2. What is NOT another meaning of the French word "Enceinte" (257) in addition to its meaning of being pregnant, according to Marin?
(a) A wall.
(b) A surround.
(c) A trap.
(d) A cage.
3. When Johannes claims that it is not Jack who has betrayed him, whom does he list as the real culprit?
(d) Johannes's own body.
4. What is NOT an action Marin admits to taking in order to keep her pregnancy a secret?
(a) She has been binding her breasts.
(b) She has been wearing a metal girdle.
(c) She has been soaking rags in pigs' blood.
(d) She has been wearing loose clothing.
5. How is the doll version of Johannes different from the real version, according to Nella?
(a) The doll is wearing glasses, while Johannes wears none.
(b) The doll is taller than Johannes, when adjusted for scale.
(c) Johannes has a kindly smile and the doll's smile is menacing.
(d) The doll's hair is longer than Johannes's hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Nella take with her for protection when she goes to the Eastern Islands alone?
2. Which doll from the cabinet house does Marin throw into the street over the protests of Nella?
3. What is NOT a characteristic of Jack's that Marin lists as reasons he will not go to the authorities about Otto's actions?
4. Whom does Nella try to convince to retrieve the doll thrown into the street by Marin?
5. Before Johannes tries to flee Amsterdam, he tells Nella to guard and watch someone. Of whom is he speaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nella's feelings about privacy change over time within the Brandt household?
2. For what reason is Nella reluctant to share the details of the miniaturist's work with Cornelia?
3. What act does Johannes tell Marin he has undertaken for her and "against the counsel" (219) of his soul?
4. How does the destruction of the gingerbread families act as an element of foreshadowing?
5. What revelation is provided about Marin's true reason for never marrying?
6. What evidence is there that Marin's pregnancy is unwanted, prior to her purchase of the cradle and other signs of a changing mind?
7. What clues to Marin's pregnancy have been included within the narrative as a means of foreshadowing?
8. When Nella receives eight dolls from the miniaturist, what two items is the doll made in her own likeness holding in its tiny hands? What is the significance of each item?
9. How is the theme of transformation referenced in the scene after Rezeki's death?
10. What thought propels Nella to go out in the cold night to demand answers from the miniaturist?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)