|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what source does the author provide both of the text's epigraphs?
(a) Cotton Mather's The Invisible World.
(b) The Magna Carta.
(c) The King James Bible.
(d) The 95 Theses.
2. How many dogs reside within the Brandt household?
3. What feeling does Nella have upon first arriving at the Brandt house when no one will answer the door?
(a) She feels as if the whole neighborhood is staring at her.
(b) She feels as if she should run away.
(c) She feels as if she is being watched.
(d) She feels as if she is being made fun of.
4. What is Marin's reply to the specific culinary request Nella makes upon her arrival at the Brandt house?
(a) She says that herring is a living being that should not be consumed.
(b) She says that sugar makes people's souls grow sick.
(c) She says that dairy foods corrupt the bodily functions.
(d) She says that figs and sour cream foster gluttony.
5. What is NOT a symptom of her father's dwindling financial status listed by Nella?
(a) The family had no longer drunk wine.
(b) The servants had fallen away.
(c) The soup had thinned.
(d) The meat had gotten scraggier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main difference Nella sees between the maids back in Assendelft and Cornelia?
2. How much younger does Nella decide she is than Marin?
3. What does Johannes tell Nella that no one can really do with his wealth?
4. To Nella's surprise, Marin tells her that what object will protect the Brandt household in the face of Johannes's homosexuality?
5. Where does Marin say Johannes's homosexuality resides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nella's marital status when she first arrives at the Brandt home?
2. For what reason does Nella decide to visit Johannes at his work?
3. What does Nella mean when she muses that Marin and Johannes are obsessed with "souls and purses" (27)?
4. Describe Marin's character.
5. What is the significance of Nella's lute performance during the Meermans' visit?
6. What warning does Otto issue to Nella concerning her parakeet and Marin?
7. What is Johannes's reply when Nella asks him whether they are rich?
8. What does Nella mean when she opines that "home is nowhere" (114) for her now?
9. For what reason is Nella reluctant to answer Agnes's question about who made Nella's miniatures?
10. How does Nella characterize the people in her life in relation to dwelling on the past?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)