|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doll resembling Nella has what kind of look on its face?
2. What is NOT an action Marin admits to taking in order to keep her pregnancy a secret?
(a) She has been binding her breasts.
(b) She has been wearing loose clothing.
(c) She has been wearing a metal girdle.
(d) She has been soaking rags in pigs' blood.
3. After Johannes's arrest, Nella realizes that while the house's occupancy dwindles, what object feels more alive?
(a) The town square.
(b) The Burgomasters' office.
(c) The Studhuit.
(d) The cabinet house.
4. In what month of 1687 does Part Four begin?
5. Who helps Nella look for Peebo in the streets?
6. What is NOT a characteristic of the Brandt house that Nella lists as she returns from following Otto?
(a) The front door is wide open.
(b) She cannot hear any human voices.
(c) She can hear the sounds of dogs barking.
(d) She can hear a woman screaming.
7. How many dolls total are left on the front step of the Brandt household?
8. What is NOT a way in which Marin's manner is described just after Frans's menacing announcement?
(c) Reluctantly hopeful.
(d) With a spiritless voice.
9. What is NOT another meaning of the French word "Enceinte" (257) in addition to its meaning of being pregnant, according to Marin?
(a) A trap.
(b) A wall.
(c) A cage.
(d) A surround.
10. What emotion does Nella admit feeling when she realizes that she will never engage in sexual activity within her marriage?
11. What does Johannes tell Nella about comfort?
(a) That it is hard to find.
(b) That it is life's greatest gift.
(c) That no one can rely on it.
(d) That it is dangerous.
12. What does Cornelia tell Nella that no woman can do?
(a) Run a business.
(b) Be an apprentice.
(c) Own property.
(d) Keep a secret.
13. What color are Johannes's eyes?
14. What reason does Marin give Nella when she tells Nella not to follow Johannes to the Stadhuis?
(a) Jack may be there.
(b) It will make Johannes look guilty.
(c) It will draw attention.
(d) Johannes needs to accept his punishment alone.
15. What reason does Nella cite to Johannes when he is touched by the item she has placed in her hair the night of his departure to Venice?
(a) For restoration.
(b) For love.
(c) For progress.
(d) For affection.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years has Johannes had Rezeki at the time of her death?
2. Where does Nella place the Nella doll after putting something around its neck?
3. Johannes tells Nella that home is where what is?
4. Nella remarks that she wants to ask "so many questions" (259) about Marin's pregnancy, but she does not ask any for what reason?
5. What does Marin do after Frans announces his intentions to ruin Johannes?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)