• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Burton, Jessie. The Miniaturist. 2014. Harper Collins, E-book.
• The Miniaturist is a novel told in third-person present tense.
• It begins with a prologue entitled The Old Church, Amsterdam, Tuesday, January 14th, 1687.
• In the prologue, someone has died and a funeral is being held.
• Though the deceased “had no friends” (1), many have come to the church solely to observe.
• An unnamed “she” watches the burial from a hidden spot, and keeps her gaze fixed on an unnamed “girl.”
• Once the funeral is over, the woman emerges from her hiding spot and places a “miniature house small enough to sit in the palm” (3) atop the burial site.
• The novel then begins “Part One: Mid-October 1686, The Hengracht canal, Amsterdam” (5).
• This is several months before the prologue.
• The first chapter of Part One “Outside In,” begins with 18-year-old...
This section contains 7,672 words
(approx. 26 pages at 300 words per page)