|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyce worry about in Chapter 13?
2. How does Alyce feel about seeing Will in Chapter 13?
3. What does Reese think is the true miracle of the day in Chapter 16?
4. What does Alyce tell the boys that the thing she is threatening them with will do?
5. Why does Alyce take the back roads to the manor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane tell Alyce to take over at Joan's delivery?
2. Who comes to the village looking for Alyce in Chapter 11 and why?
3. What name does the small boy Alyce meets in Chapter 10 decide to take?
4. What happens when Alyce arrives to help Emma Blunt give birth?
5. When Jane tells Reese that perhaps Alyce leaving her was for the best, what does Alyce think she means? What does Jane actually mean?
6. What causes Alyce to cry for the first time in Chapter 15?
7. How does Alyce provide a better life for the little boy in Chapter 10?
8. What does Alyce do after she is unable to help Emma Blunt give birth?
9. When Joan's labor begins again under Alyce's watch, what does Alyce decide she should do in this situation?
10. What does Alyce threaten the boys who are tormenting Purr with in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of bravery in the novel. What are some examples of bravery in the novel? What are some examples of when Alyce must be brave despite her fears?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alyce's character growth throughout the novel. How does her character compare from when the reader is first introduced to her to when the novel concludes? What events or people in her life prompt Alyce's growth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. Is friendship important to Alyce? Who are her friends? How does she help her friends and how do they help her?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)