|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the boy decide to name himself after when he discovers that 'Alyce' is a girl's name?
2. What name does Jane call Alyce instead of Alyce?
3. Who is with Alyce at the end of Chapter 11?
4. What or who awakens Alyce in Chapter 12?
5. What does the boy do when he is discovered by Alyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alyce earn the devotion of the small boy in Chapter 10?
2. What causes Alyce to cry for the first time in Chapter 15?
3. What must Alyce work up the courage to ask a man about in Chapter 13?
4. What makes Alyce smile for the first time? What does she dream about on the same night?
5. What does Alyce finally find out about Edward in Chapter 14?
6. Why does Jane tell Alyce to take over at Joan's delivery?
7. When Jane tells Reese that perhaps Alyce leaving her was for the best, what does Alyce think she means? What does Jane actually mean?
8. How does Reese communicate with and teach Alyce at first?
9. What does Jane think when Matthew arrives looking for Alyce in Chapter 11?
10. What does Alyce do after she is unable to help Emma Blunt give birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of perseverance in the novel "The Midwife's Apprentice." What are some examples of perseverance in the novel? What are some examples of Alyce's own perseverance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel. Is friendship important to Alyce? Who are her friends? How does she help her friends and how do they help her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Alyce. What are her defining character traits? What is her role in the story? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the novel? Does she grow as a character? If so, how?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)