|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children has the midwife had?
2. What does Will teach Alyce to do in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Alyce decide that the cat should have a name in Chapter 6?
4. How does Beetle feel about owning the comb?
5. The village boys stick the cat in a sack with ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, What does Will instruct Alyce to do to help the cow deliver? Why is Will especially pleased when the delivery is over?
2. After helping Will deliver the calves, what changes for Alyce in Chapter 8?
3. What forces Brat to be constantly moving from place to place?
4. What is there a strange abundance of in Chapter 4?
5. After the miller's baby is born, how does the midwife treat Beetle? Why doesn't Beetle mind her treatment?
6. What does Beetle say to the injured cat when she takes it from the sack in Chapter 2?
7. What does Alyce offer the cat in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 7, what do the 'Devil's footprints' lead the villagers to on Old North Road?
9. What happens one day while Alyce is telling Purr about the delivery of the twin calves?
10. What accident does Jane have in Chapter 5? What does she make Beetle do as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of superstition in the novel. Which character(s) are superstitious? What are some examples of superstition in the novel? Is Alyce a superstitious character? Were the people of the Middle Ages more superstitious than people of the 21st century? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel. What are some examples of fear in the novel? What is Alyce fearful of and why? What are other characters fearful of and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Karen Cushman, the author of the novel. What other works has she received recognition for? Do the other works have similar themes? Does she always write in the same genre?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)