|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Will's hair?
2. Where do the boys in the village toss the sack in Chapter 2?
3. Who is married with thirteen children in Chapter 4?
4. Why is the title of Chapter 8 "The Twins"?
5. What is there an abundance of in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered in the village one morning in Chapter 7?
2. Who does a man mistake Beetle for at the fair? What amazes Beetle about this?
3. What does Beetle do when Jane is delivering babies?
4. Where does Brat try to keep warm at the beginning of the story?
5. What happens one day while Alyce is telling Purr about the delivery of the twin calves?
6. Where does Beetle take the injured cat to recover in Chapter 2? After it is recovered, what does she tell the cat about?
7. After helping Will deliver the calves, what changes for Alyce in Chapter 8?
8. What is there a strange abundance of in Chapter 4?
9. What does Beetle say to the injured cat when she takes it from the sack in Chapter 2?
10. How is the miller punished for stealing from his customers in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of superstition in the novel. Which character(s) are superstitious? What are some examples of superstition in the novel? Is Alyce a superstitious character? Were the people of the Middle Ages more superstitious than people of the 21st century? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Edward. What are his defining character traits? Describe his relationship with Alyce. How does Alyce's friendship with Edward benefit her? What does she learn from him? What is the significance of the cook's comment about their physical appearance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in the novel "The Midwife's Apprentice." Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts alter or influence the plot and the characters?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)