|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the protagonist, why do villagers often drive her away?
2. What does Beetle realize about giving birth?
3. What does Alyce do to help Will in Chapter 6?
4. What is there an abundance of in Chapter 4?
5. What color is Will's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Alyce hear frightening noises coming from in Chapter 8? What do they turn out to be?
2. Why is Alyce made to deliver messages and run errands after dark? Why doesn't this bother her?
3. After the miller's baby is born, how does the midwife treat Beetle? Why doesn't Beetle mind her treatment?
4. In Chapter 7, what do the 'Devil's footprints' lead the villagers to on Old North Road?
5. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
6. What does Beetle find the village boys doing when she goes to feed the cat in Chapter 2?
7. What is discovered in the village one morning in Chapter 7?
8. What does Beetle enjoy watching in Chapter 2?
9. Where does Beetle take the injured cat to recover in Chapter 2? After it is recovered, what does she tell the cat about?
10. What does Will tell Alyce after she rescues him from the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel? What are elements commonly found in this type of novel? What are some other examples of works of this genre? What similarities do these works share with the novel "The Midwife's Apprentice"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Edward. What are his defining character traits? Describe his relationship with Alyce. How does Alyce's friendship with Edward benefit her? What does she learn from him? What is the significance of the cook's comment about their physical appearance?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)