|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a man ask Beetle to do when he believes she is someone else in Chapter 5?
2. How do the villagers react to the cow's birth in Chapter 7?
3. What does Beetle tell the cat about at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What name does Will first call Alyce after she saves him?
5. What does Beetle realize about giving birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item catches Beetle's eye at the fair?
2. What does Beetle do when the miller drags her to deliver his wife's baby?
3. What does Beetle call Jane and why?
4. What is discovered in the village one morning in Chapter 7?
5. What does Beetle find the village boys doing when she goes to feed the cat in Chapter 2?
6. After helping Will deliver the calves, what changes for Alyce in Chapter 8?
7. In Chapter 8, What does Will instruct Alyce to do to help the cow deliver? Why is Will especially pleased when the delivery is over?
8. What does Beetle do when Jane is delivering babies?
9. What does Beetle discover and is ordered to keep secret in Chapter 4?
10. What does Alyce offer the cat in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Alyce. What are her defining character traits? What is her role in the story? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the novel? Does she grow as a character? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Edward. What are his defining character traits? Describe his relationship with Alyce. How does Alyce's friendship with Edward benefit her? What does she learn from him? What is the significance of the cook's comment about their physical appearance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alyce's character growth throughout the novel. How does her character compare from when the reader is first introduced to her to when the novel concludes? What events or people in her life prompt Alyce's growth?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)