|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will observe about Alyce in Chapter 6?
2. How do the villagers react to the cow's birth in Chapter 7?
3. Who does Beetle see Jane hugging and kissing?
4. What is the name of the road where the tracks are supposed to have been seen in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Jane need to go to the fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. After helping Will deliver the calves, what changes for Alyce in Chapter 8?
2. What does Beetle do when Jane is delivering babies?
3. Who does a man mistake Beetle for at the fair? What amazes Beetle about this?
4. What do the villagers dislike about Jane?
5. What does Beetle do when the miller drags her to deliver his wife's baby?
6. After the miller's baby is born, how does the midwife treat Beetle? Why doesn't Beetle mind her treatment?
7. What does Will tell Alyce after she rescues him from the river?
8. What does Beetle enjoy watching in Chapter 2?
9. Why is Beetle able to enjoy the fair so much in Chapter 5?
10. What happens when the village boys chase Alyce in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Alyce's lack of confidence throughout the novel. What might have caused her lack of confidence? How does she gain confidence throughout the novel? How does an increase in confidence improve her life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to Alyce? What is their role in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Alyce. What are her defining character traits? What is her role in the story? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the novel? Does she grow as a character? If so, how?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)