|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Beetle mind it when Jane calls her names in Chapter 4?
2. Who is Grommet?
3. What does Gilbert Gray-Head teach Alyce in Chapter 7?
4. What is said about the midwife's hands?
5. What does Beetle have to deliver to the manor dairy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Jane earned her position as midwife to the village?
2. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
3. What do the villagers dislike about Jane?
4. In Chapter 8, What does Will instruct Alyce to do to help the cow deliver? Why is Will especially pleased when the delivery is over?
5. Who does a man mistake Beetle for at the fair? What amazes Beetle about this?
6. What accident does Jane have in Chapter 5? What does she make Beetle do as a result?
7. What does Beetle do when the miller drags her to deliver his wife's baby?
8. What does Alyce offer the cat in Chapter 6?
9. Why is Alyce made to deliver messages and run errands after dark? Why doesn't this bother her?
10. What does Beetle call Jane and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of cruelty in the novel. What are some examples of cruelty in the novel? Are these examples of cruelty aimed at Alyce? If so, how is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to Alyce? What is their role in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)