|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason that Alyce gives Will for leaving the village?
(a) She was never one to stay in one spot for too long.
(b) She was offered a job at the inn.
(c) She dislikes Jane.
(d) She is too stupid to be a midwife's apprentice.
2. Who is sent to the village for the midwife in chapter 16?
(b) The wealthy man's driver.
(c) The wealthy man's attendant.
(d) John Dark.
3. Why does Alyce take the back roads to the manor?
(a) The views are much more pleasant.
(b) To save time.
(c) So that she isn't seen.
(d) To avoid an accident on the main road.
4. What does the wealthy husband think his wife is suffering from at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(b) An ulcer.
(c) A ruptured disc.
(d) A stomach worm.
5. Why doesn't the man believe that his wife might be having a baby in Chapter 16?
(a) She has been barren.
(b) They have not been trying for a baby.
(c) They have not made love for quite some time.
(d) She does not look pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alyce react when she sees Jane arrive at the inn?
2. What does the cook comment about Edward and Alyce?
3. What does the wealthy man declare Alyce to be in Chapter 16?
4. What does Alyce find when she returns to the boy after getting him some bread?
5. What does Alyce learn about Jane at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Alyce smile for the first time? What does she dream about on the same night?
2. Who comes to the village looking for Alyce in Chapter 11 and why?
3. What must Alyce work up the courage to ask a man about in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Alyce tell Will when he asks why she left the village? What does he say to encourage her?
5. Who arrives at the inn in Chapter 16, and what is troubling them?
6. How does Reese communicate with and teach Alyce at first?
7. What does Alyce threaten the boys who are tormenting Purr with in Chapter 9?
8. What does Jane think when Matthew arrives looking for Alyce in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Jane tell Alyce to take over at Joan's delivery?
10. How does Alyce provide a better life for the little boy in Chapter 10?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)