|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the boys think Alyce is threatening them with in Chapter 9?
(a) Maggots and slugs.
(b) Rat's blood and wiper's flesh.
(c) A smelly steel boot.
(d) A large and spiky metal ring on her finger.
2. What does the boy do when he is discovered by Alyce?
(a) Tries to hit her.
(b) Begins to weep uncontrollably.
(c) Apologizes and tries to leave.
(d) Hides under the hay.
3. What does Alyce ask a man who arrives at the inn from the manor?
(a) She asks him for the time.
(b) She asks about Edward.
(c) She asks him for a job.
(d) She asks him about Jane.
4. How does Alyce earn the young boy's devotion?
(a) By giving him food and shelter.
(b) By believing in him.
(c) By making him laugh.
(d) By protecting him.
5. What is the name of the woman who is giving birth in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it in Chapter 11?
2. Who is with Alyce at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Whom is Alyce visiting when she discovers a boy sleeping in some hay?
4. How is the cook at the manor described?
5. Why does Jane go to the manor in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jane comes to the inn and speaks to Reese, what does Alyce worry they are speaking about?
2. What name does the small boy Alyce meets in Chapter 10 decide to take?
3. What does Alyce struggle with as the wealthy woman has difficulty giving birth in Chapter 16?
4. What does Alyce finally find out about Edward in Chapter 14?
5. What comment does the cook at the manor house make about Alyce's appearance in Chapter 14?
6. What does Alyce threaten the boys who are tormenting Purr with in Chapter 9?
7. What makes Alyce smile for the first time? What does she dream about on the same night?
8. What causes Alyce to cry for the first time in Chapter 15?
9. How does Reese communicate with and teach Alyce at first?
10. How does Alyce earn the devotion of the small boy in Chapter 10?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)