|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the midwife's name?
2. What does Beetle take to the cat at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A basket to sleep in.
(b) Some chicken scraps.
(c) Some ale.
(d) Some cheese.
3. What does Alyce do when the village boys call her Beetle in Chapter 6?
(a) She whispers her new name.
(b) She screams and throws rocks at them.
(c) She writes her new name in the sand.
(d) She yells at them.
4. How does Beetle surprise herself in Chapter 3?
(a) By becoming emotional during a birth.
(b) By realizing that she one days wants a child of her own.
(c) By knowing what supplies are needed for the birth.
(d) By talking back to the midwife.
5. What does the protagonist not do while she sleeps?
(b) Grinds her teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beetle sure of when she returns to the cottage in Chapter 4?
2. Where does the protagonist burrow to keep warm in Chapter 1?
3. What does a man ask Beetle to do when he believes she is someone else in Chapter 5?
4. What does a cow give birth to in Chapter 7?
5. The village boys stick the cat in a sack with ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What item catches Beetle's eye at the fair?
2. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 7, what do the 'Devil's footprints' lead the villagers to on Old North Road?
4. What do the villagers dislike about Jane?
5. What forces Brat to be constantly moving from place to place?
6. What does Beetle find the village boys doing when she goes to feed the cat in Chapter 2?
7. Why is Alyce made to deliver messages and run errands after dark? Why doesn't this bother her?
8. Why doesn't Brat dream while she sleeps?
9. Why is Beetle able to enjoy the fair so much in Chapter 5?
10. How is the miller punished for stealing from his customers in Chapter 7?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)