|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beetle realize about giving birth?
(a) It is the grossest thing she has ever witnessed.
(b) It looks easier than it probably is.
(c) It is as much hard work, or more, than brewing teas or potions.
(d) It is not as painful as loneliness.
2. What does a man ask Beetle to do when he believes she is someone else in Chapter 5?
(a) Serve him his ale.
(b) Read his racing slip.
(c) Milk his cow.
(d) Clean his horse.
3. Why is the title of Chapter 8 "The Twins"?
(a) The cat follows Alyce around everywhere she goes.
(b) Twin girls move to the village and befriend Alyce.
(c) Alyce begins to mimic everything Jane does.
(d) A cow gives birth to two calves.
4. What is the protagonist sure of about her family?
(a) She has a brother somewhere.
(b) Her family deserted her.
(c) She never had a family.
(d) She must have had a mother.
5. What does Gilbert Gray-Head teach Alyce in Chapter 7?
(d) How to milk a cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane need to go to the fair?
2. In what does Beetle see her reflection in Chapter 5?
3. How does Beetle surprise herself in Chapter 3?
4. What is the only name that the protagonist is known by when the novel begins?
5. Why is Thomas At-the-Bridge called upon in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Beetle take the injured cat to recover in Chapter 2? After it is recovered, what does she tell the cat about?
2. What does Will tell Alyce after she rescues him from the river?
3. After helping Will deliver the calves, what changes for Alyce in Chapter 8?
4. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
5. Who does a man mistake Beetle for at the fair? What amazes Beetle about this?
6. What item catches Beetle's eye at the fair?
7. What accident does Jane have in Chapter 5? What does she make Beetle do as a result?
8. What is there a strange abundance of in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 7, what do the 'Devil's footprints' lead the villagers to on Old North Road?
10. What does Brat do for the woman in Chapter 1, and what does she receive in return?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)