|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a man ask Beetle to do when he believes she is someone else in Chapter 5?
(a) Serve him his ale.
(b) Clean his horse.
(c) Milk his cow.
(d) Read his racing slip.
2. What name does Will first call Alyce after she saves him?
(b) Dung Beetle.
3. Why doesn't Jane notice the shift in Chapter 8?
(a) She is too tired and sleeps most the time.
(b) She is too busy with her own life.
(c) She is in denial.
(d) She is too focused on teaching Alyce about midwifery.
4. Why does Beetle become fearful of the miller's wife in Chapter 4?
(a) The miller's wife laughs loudly at everyone who comes near.
(b) The miller's wife becomes very drunk.
(c) The miller's wife cries whenever her husband enters the room.
(d) The miller's wife begins shouting and throwing things.
5. What does the cat do in Alyce's dream in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the protagonist live her life in Chapter 1?
2. What name does Beetle decide to give herself in Chapter 5?
3. What does the protagonist ask the woman for in Chapter 1?
4. What does Beetle realize about giving birth?
5. Why does Beetle call the miller's wife a cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Brat try to keep warm at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Beetle do when the miller drags her to deliver his wife's baby?
3. After the miller's baby is born, how does the midwife treat Beetle? Why doesn't Beetle mind her treatment?
4. Why doesn't Brat dream while she sleeps?
5. What does Beetle do when Jane is delivering babies?
6. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
7. What item catches Beetle's eye at the fair?
8. What does Beetle discover and is ordered to keep secret in Chapter 4?
9. What does Beetle call Jane and why?
10. What does Will tell Alyce after she rescues him from the river?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)