|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the King marry in Alyce's dream in Chapter 6?
(a) The midwife.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The miller's daughter.
2. According to the protagonist, why do villagers often drive her away?
(a) She has overstayed her welcome.
(b) She is always caught for stealing food.
(c) She smells as bad as the pigs.
(d) She scares them with her spells and magic.
3. In what does Beetle see her reflection in Chapter 5?
(a) A horse's trough.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A well.
(d) The lake.
4. What is the protagonist sure of about her family?
(a) Her family deserted her.
(b) She never had a family.
(c) She must have had a mother.
(d) She has a brother somewhere.
5. What color is the cat that Beetle watches?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is carved on the comb that Beetle admires?
2. Who does Beetle see Jane hugging and kissing?
3. What does Alyce do when the village boys call her Beetle in Chapter 6?
4. What does the protagonist not do while she sleeps?
5. Why doesn't Jane notice the shift in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beetle do when the miller drags her to deliver his wife's baby?
2. What does Beetle enjoy watching in Chapter 2?
3. Why is Beetle able to enjoy the fair so much in Chapter 5?
4. What does Beetle find the village boys doing when she goes to feed the cat in Chapter 2?
5. What does Beetle do when Jane is delivering babies?
6. What do the villagers dislike about Jane?
7. What do the villagers comment on when they pass Alyce and the cat in Chapter 6?
8. After the miller's baby is born, how does the midwife treat Beetle? Why doesn't Beetle mind her treatment?
9. Where does Alyce hear frightening noises coming from in Chapter 8? What do they turn out to be?
10. What forces Brat to be constantly moving from place to place?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)