|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Alyce from the village in Chapter 12?
(a) About an hour.
(b) Five hours by walking.
(c) A day by carriage.
(d) A few minutes by walking.
2. Who is Magister Reese?
(a) A friend of Jennet.
(b) A new resident of the village.
(c) A scholar.
(d) An old government official who threatens to shut down the place where Alyce works.
3. Why does Alyce hide under the staircase in Chapter 16?
(a) She does not want to help the rich folk.
(b) She is afraid of the wealthy man.
(c) She thinks there will be an earthquake.
(d) She is afraid to get involved with the childbirth.
4. How does Alyce feel about seeing Will in Chapter 13?
(a) She is thrilled.
(b) She is terrified.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is shocked.
5. What does the wealthy man declare Alyce to be in Chapter 16?
(a) A thief.
(b) A liar.
(c) A sinner.
(d) A saint.
6. What does Alyce do when Jane arrives at the birth in Chapter 11?
(a) She cries.
(b) She leaves the room quietly.
(c) She panics and hides in a storage cabinet.
(d) She yells at Jane.
7. Why does Alyce decide to go to the manor in Chapter 14?
(a) To ask for a job.
(b) To see about Edward.
(c) To seek out reading and writing lessons from the governness.
(d) To buy some meat and produce.
8. Why does Alyce send for Jane during the labor in Chapter 11?
(a) Alyce is unable to assist the woman giving birth.
(b) The woman in labor asks for Jane.
(c) Alyce is injured and cannot help the woman in labor.
(d) Alyce needs some medicine that she does not have with her.
9. How does Jane arrive when Alyce sends for her in Chapter 11?
10. What is Alyce collecting at the beginning of Chapter 9?
11. How is John Dark described?
(a) As being short and stout.
(b) As being almost blind.
(c) As being rude and rather eccentric.
(d) As being kind and jolly.
12. Where is Alyce sent at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) The river.
(b) The servants' quarters.
(c) The barn.
(d) The hen house.
13. What does Alyce find when she returns to the boy after getting him some bread?
(a) The boy has found a home.
(b) The boy has run away.
(c) The village boys are teasing him.
(d) The boy is sick.
14. According to Will, what does Alyce not need to succeed?
(a) She does not need upper body strength.
(b) She does not need money.
(c) She does not need help from anyone else.
(d) She does not need to know everything.
15. What does Alyce find Edward doing in the hen house in Chapter 15?
(b) Playing knights with the chickens.
(c) Eating an egg.
(d) Petting and talking to a hen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cook comment about Edward and Alyce?
2. What is the reason that Alyce gives Will for leaving the village?
3. What does Jennet think of Alyce?
4. What does Alyce believe of the boy's new plan in Chapter 10?
5. What is Will's surname?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)