|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alyce hide under the staircase in Chapter 16?
(a) She is afraid of the wealthy man.
(b) She thinks there will be an earthquake.
(c) She does not want to help the rich folk.
(d) She is afraid to get involved with the childbirth.
2. How is John Dark described?
(a) As being almost blind.
(b) As being kind and jolly.
(c) As being rude and rather eccentric.
(d) As being short and stout.
3. What is the name of the woman who is giving birth in Chapter 11?
4. What does Alyce learn about Jane at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) That Jane learned midwifery from her mother.
(b) That Jane is carrying around a dark secret.
(c) That Jane is skilled at what she does.
(d) That Jane is scared of spiders.
5. Where does Alyce send the boy when she sees Jane returning in Chapter 10?
(a) To Jane's outhouse.
(b) To the manor.
(c) To an abandoned barn.
(d) To the forest.
6. Where does Alyce go after walking awhile at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) To church.
(b) A small inn.
(c) The lakeshore.
(d) An apple orchard.
7. What is Alyce collecting at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What does Jane tell Alyce about Joan's child?
(a) It will die.
(b) It baby was stillborn.
(c) It is a girl.
(d) Joan does not want the baby.
9. How does Alyce react when she sees Jane arrive at the inn?
(a) She is scared.
(b) She is concerned.
(c) She is overjoyed.
(d) She is shocked.
10. What is the reason that Alyce gives Will for leaving the village?
(a) She is too stupid to be a midwife's apprentice.
(b) She dislikes Jane.
(c) She was offered a job at the inn.
(d) She was never one to stay in one spot for too long.
11. What does Alyce help the men do at the manor in Chapter 15?
(a) Plant some flowers.
(b) Clean the sheep.
(c) Build an outhouse.
(d) Polish some silver.
12. What job does Alyce do in Chapter 12?
(a) She cleans the chimney.
(b) She works in a kitchen.
(c) She sews garments.
(d) She gardens.
13. How does the boy feel about leaving Alyce in Chapter 10?
14. How is the cook at the manor described?
(a) As a ditzy woman.
(b) As a friendly woman.
(c) As a grumpy old bat.
(d) As a thief and a liar.
15. What does Alyce do for the first time when Edwards tells her he wants to stay at the manor?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She smiles.
(c) She cries.
(d) She dances.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyce find Edward doing in the hen house in Chapter 15?
2. What does Joan name her child?
3. Where does Alyce recommend the boy sleep in Chapter 10?
4. What is delivered to the inn in Chapter 13?
5. Who is Magister Reese?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)