|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only name that the protagonist is known by when the novel begins?
2. Where does the protagonist burrow to keep warm in Chapter 1?
(a) A dung heap.
(b) A hay stack.
(c) In a deserted shed.
(d) In a pile of leaves.
3. What do Will's friends do when he falls in the water in Chapter 6?
(a) They laugh and point.
(b) They help him out of the water.
(c) They panic and leave.
(d) They run to get an adult.
4. Who is married with thirteen children in Chapter 4?
(a) The butcher.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The baker.
(d) The mason.
5. What does Alyce do when the village boys call her Beetle in Chapter 6?
(a) She whispers her new name.
(b) She screams and throws rocks at them.
(c) She writes her new name in the sand.
(d) She yells at them.
6. What does Will do that makes Alyce feel shy in Chapter 8?
(a) He shares a secret with Alyce.
(b) He tells everyone what a great help Alyce was.
(c) He tells Alyce she is pretty.
(d) He tells everyone that Alyce is stupid.
7. Who is Tansy?
(a) A cow.
(b) Alyce's new cat.
(c) The baker's wife.
(d) A new girl in the village.
8. What does Will observe about Alyce in Chapter 6?
(a) She is strange.
(b) She is stubborn.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She is brave.
9. What is carved on the comb that Beetle admires?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A cat.
(c) A ballerina.
(d) A dragon.
10. How does Beetle surprise herself in Chapter 3?
(a) By talking back to the midwife.
(b) By realizing that she one days wants a child of her own.
(c) By knowing what supplies are needed for the birth.
(d) By becoming emotional during a birth.
11. Before the comb, what was the only thing that Beetle had ever owned?
(a) A locket.
(b) A small picture book.
(c) Her ragged clothes.
(d) A bracelet made out of yarn.
12. What does Beetle conclude about her appearance in Chapter 5?
(a) She is very pretty.
(b) She looks older than she really is.
(c) She looks very dirty and ugly.
(d) Her hair is a mess of curls.
13. What does Beetle tell the cat about at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The seasons.
(b) The other animals she has met along the way.
(c) Her life as she knows it.
(d) Her favorite things.
14. Whom does Alyce learn about sin from in Chapter 7?
(b) The priest.
15. Why doesn't Beetle mind it when Jane calls her names in Chapter 4?
(a) She doesn't understand the meaning of the words.
(b) She doesn't value Jane's opinion anyways.
(c) She will seek her revenge in the future.
(d) She would rather have Jane be mean than go hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beetle watch the cat do?
2. Who does Beetle see Jane hugging and kissing?
3. What does Alyce tell Purr about at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What color is Will's hair?
5. What name does Beetle decide to give herself in Chapter 5?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)