|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beetle surprise herself in Chapter 3?
(a) By knowing what supplies are needed for the birth.
(b) By becoming emotional during a birth.
(c) By realizing that she one days wants a child of her own.
(d) By talking back to the midwife.
2. Whom does Alyce learn about sin from in Chapter 7?
(a) The priest.
3. Why does Beetle curse the cat in Chapter 2?
(a) The cat scratched her hand.
(b) Beetle is in a bad mood and takes it out on the cat.
(c) The cat growled and hissed at Beetle.
(d) She has never heard any kind words before, so she doesn't know any.
4. What is Beetle sure of when she returns to the cottage in Chapter 4?
(a) Someone has been in trhe cottage while she was away.
(b) Jane has a surprise for her.
(c) A storm is moving in.
(d) She will be punished.
5. Why does Alyce give Jane all of the payments she receives?
(a) Alyce is terrified of Jane.
(b) Alyce does not trust herself with money as she loves to shop.
(c) Alyce believes that she would not have earned them without having learned at Jane's side.
(d) Alyce does not have anything to spend the payments on.
6. Why does Jane slap the miller's wife in Chapter 4?
(a) To express her anger.
(b) To teach Beetle what to do in such a circumstance.
(c) To kill a bug.
(d) To stop her from screaming.
7. What does the protagonist not do while she sleeps?
(d) Grinds her teeth.
8. In what does Beetle see her reflection in Chapter 5?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A horse's trough.
(c) A well.
(d) The lake.
9. How does she tell the cat her story at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) With dance.
(b) With song.
(c) In whispers.
(d) With drawings.
10. What name does Will first call Alyce after she saves him?
(d) Dung Beetle.
11. What color is the cat that Beetle watches?
12. What does Beetle see the cat doing when she sees it alive and well again for the first time after saving it?
(a) Grooming itself while sitting on the fence.
(b) Chasing a grasshopper.
(c) Eating a small fish.
(d) Basking in the sunlight.
13. What does Will do that makes Alyce feel shy in Chapter 8?
(a) He tells Alyce she is pretty.
(b) He tells everyone what a great help Alyce was.
(c) He shares a secret with Alyce.
(d) He tells everyone that Alyce is stupid.
14. Who is Grommet?
(a) The bricklayer's daughter.
(b) The butcher's daughter.
(c) The smith's daughter.
(d) The baker's daughter.
15. How does Beetle feel about owning the comb?
(a) She is amazed.
(b) She is scared.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is curious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist ask the woman for in Chapter 1?
2. What does a cow give birth to in Chapter 7?
3. What color is Will's hair?
4. Why does Will ask Alyce for help in Chapter 8?
5. How would one describe the midwife?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)