|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the fair that Beetle goes to in Chapter 5?
(a) Saint Swithin's Day Fair.
(b) Saint Radolpho's Day Fair.
(c) Saint Peter's Day Fair.
(d) Saint Annabelle's Day Fair.
2. What is carved on the comb that Beetle admires?
(a) A cat.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A ballerina.
(d) A dragon.
3. What does the woman tell the protagonist about beggars in Chapter 1?
(a) They are not welcome in the village.
(b) They are sad.
(c) They are scary.
(d) They are just as deserving as everyone else.
4. What does the merchant tell Beetle when he gives her the comb for free?
(a) She is obviously not the type of girl to use a comb.
(b) She should use it to attract Will.
(c) The comb will break if she tries to use it in her hair.
(d) To use it on her curls, and she will have a lover before nightfall.
5. Whom does the King marry in Alyce's dream in Chapter 6?
(a) The midwife.
(c) The miller's daughter.
(d) Her mother.
6. What is the name of the road where the tracks are supposed to have been seen in Chapter 7?
(a) Old East Lane.
(b) Old West Court.
(c) Old South Bend.
(d) Old North Road.
7. How do the villagers react to the cow's birth in Chapter 7?
(a) They sre indifferent.
(b) They are scared.
(c) They are ecstatic.
(d) They are confused.
8. Who stops the boys in the village from taunting the protagonist in Chapter 1?
(a) The preacher's wife.
(b) A woman of average age and looks.
(c) An old lady gardening nearby.
(d) A young, pretty woman.
9. What does Beetle take to the cat at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) Some chicken scraps.
(b) A basket to sleep in.
(c) Some cheese.
(d) Some ale.
10. Where does the protagonist burrow to keep warm in Chapter 1?
(a) In a pile of leaves.
(b) A dung heap.
(c) In a deserted shed.
(d) A hay stack.
11. What does Beetle realize about giving birth?
(a) It is as much hard work, or more, than brewing teas or potions.
(b) It is the grossest thing she has ever witnessed.
(c) It is not as painful as loneliness.
(d) It looks easier than it probably is.
12. Why is the title of Chapter 8 "The Twins"?
(a) The cat follows Alyce around everywhere she goes.
(b) Alyce begins to mimic everything Jane does.
(c) A cow gives birth to two calves.
(d) Twin girls move to the village and befriend Alyce.
13. What does the protagonist ask the woman for in Chapter 1?
(a) A bath.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A small bit of food.
(d) Some new clothes.
14. What does Beetle watch the cat do?
(a) Hunt a mouse.
(b) Play with another cat.
(c) Lie in the sun and groom itself.
(d) Drink from a stream.
15. What is different about Beetle's visit to the fair in Chapter 5?
(a) She is accompanied by someone this time around.
(b) This is the first time that Beetle has not been hungry while at the fair.
(c) Beetle has a small amount of spending money this time.
(d) Beetle is now tall enough to try out the bigger rides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is made to stand in the rain with a millstone around his neck in Chapter 7?
2. What is said about the midwife's hands?
3. What is Beetle sure of when she returns to the cottage in Chapter 4?
4. What color is the cat that Beetle watches?
5. How does Beetle feel about owning the comb?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)