|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the boys in the village toss the sack in Chapter 2?
(a) Into the stream.
(b) Over a small cliff.
(c) Down a hill.
(d) In a tree.
2. Who is made to stand in the rain with a millstone around his neck in Chapter 7?
(a) The mason.
(b) The miller.
(c) The priest.
(d) The baker.
3. How does Beetle feel about owning the comb?
(a) She is curious.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is amazed.
(d) She is scared.
4. What is Beetle sure of when she returns to the cottage in Chapter 4?
(a) She will be punished.
(b) Jane has a surprise for her.
(c) Someone has been in trhe cottage while she was away.
(d) A storm is moving in.
5. Who is Grommet?
(a) The smith's daughter.
(b) The bricklayer's daughter.
(c) The baker's daughter.
(d) The butcher's daughter.
6. What is said about the midwife's hands?
(a) They have very long finger nails.
(b) They shake a lot.
(c) She is missing two fingers.
(d) They are strong and clean.
7. What does Beetle have to deliver to the manor dairy?
(a) A lotion.
(b) A sauce.
(c) A balm.
(d) A powder.
8. What does Beetle see the cat doing when she sees it alive and well again for the first time after saving it?
(a) Grooming itself while sitting on the fence.
(b) Basking in the sunlight.
(c) Eating a small fish.
(d) Chasing a grasshopper.
9. Why does the midwife sometimes refuse to help an expectant mother?
(a) If the mother has hurt or betrayed her in the past.
(b) If the mother is carrying a child out of wedlock.
(c) If she is too tired.
(d) If she will not be paid for her services.
10. What does a cow give birth to in Chapter 7?
(a) A two-headed calf.
(b) Twin calfs.
(c) One female calf.
(d) One male calf.
11. Who does Beetle see Jane hugging and kissing?
(a) The miller.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The mason.
(d) The baker.
12. Why does Beetle curse the cat in Chapter 2?
(a) Beetle is in a bad mood and takes it out on the cat.
(b) The cat scratched her hand.
(c) She has never heard any kind words before, so she doesn't know any.
(d) The cat growled and hissed at Beetle.
13. Where is Will stuck when Alyce finds him in Chapter 8?
(a) In a shack.
(b) In the gully.
(c) Underneath the bridge.
(d) Under a large log.
14. What does the woman call the protagonist by the end of Chapter 1?
15. How many days pass before Beetle sees the cat alive and well again in Chapter 2?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Five days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilbert Gray-Head teach Alyce in Chapter 7?
2. Why is the title of Chapter 8 "The Twins"?
3. What name is given to the cat in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Tansy?
5. In what manner does the midwife deal with the expectant mothers?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)