Chapter One, The Dung Heap
1. Where does the protagonist burrow to keep warm in Chapter 1?
(a) A dung heap.
(b) A hay stack.
(c) In a pile of leaves.
(d) In a deserted shed.
2. What is the only name that the protagonist is known by when the novel begins?
3. What is the protagonist sure of about her family?
(a) Her family deserted her.
(b) She has a brother somewhere.
(c) She never had a family.
(d) She must have had a mother.
4. How does the protagonist live her life in Chapter 1?
(a) By learning as much as she can.
(b) By taking what she can and working where she can.
(c) By sleeping a lot.
(d) By moving from place to place and meeting lots of friends.
5. According to the protagonist, why do villagers often drive her away?
(a) She has overstayed her welcome.
(b) She scares them with her spells and magic.
(c) She is always caught for stealing food.
(d) She smells as bad as the pigs.
This section contains 4,853 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)