Chapter One, The Dung Heap
• A homeless girl named Brat sleeps at a dung heap in order to keep warm.
• Brat has no memory of her past. All she remembers is the life she now lives, going from village to village looking for work and food.
• Boys from the village taunt Brat, and a woman stops them and sends them away.
• Brat asks for food, telling the woman she will work for it. She does chores all day for some table scraps.
• The woman calls Brat "Beetle" and allows her to stay and work for food.
Chapter Two, The Cat
• Beetle watches a stray cat. She sometimes gives the cat bits of food.
• Beetle discovers the village boys torturing the cat and sees them throw it into the river in a sack. Beetle pulls the sack from the water and finds the cat is barely alive.
• Beetle knows...
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)