|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kelly, Edward and the girls celebrate when learning that George had only two cancer treatments left?
2. How did Edward respond when Kelly got all dressed up to go out to celebrate her new job?
3. Why did the radiation technician have to be especially careful with Kelly's treatment?
4. Why did Dr. Schoenberg empathize with all of Kelly's question about her father's condition?
5. What surprise did George and Mary give to Kelly for Christmas in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the real reason that Kelly got angry with Edward when he called his parents so often during their trip to New England?
2. Why did Kelly and Edward meet with a genetics counselor?
3. Why was Dr. Schoenberg particularly empathetic to Kelly's interest in her father's cancer treatment?
4. What were some of the attractive reasons about the house Kelly found in the Piedmont school district near San Francisco?
5. What did Kelly do in order to learn more about her father's bladder cancer and who was the cancer doctor she wanted her father to see?
6. How many children had Kelly and Edward wanted and why did Kelly want a son?
7. Why was Kelly resistant to starting estrogen therapy which would eliminate estrogen from her body?
8. What was the result of Kelly's genetic testing?
9. How did Mary respond to Kelly's gift of new kitchen and bath items?
10. What was the state of George's cancer at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kelly Corrigan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Kelly used more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two examples which either embody or create disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)