|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Kelly get only four doses of the anti-cancer drug, Adriamycin, during her treatment?
2. Who was Kelly's mother?
3. Where does Kelly's father make Booker keep the snake?
4. Who was the psychologist with whom Kelly consulted?
5. For what did Kelly's father offer a $5 reward to the kids on his team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Kelly call immediately after finding the lump in her breast and how did this person respond?
2. How did Claudia Regan hurt Kelly in a truth game and by her actions and what did it take to diminish Claudia's popularity?
3. Why was befriending Claudia Regan in the sixth grade not a good move for Kelly?
4. Why was Kelly unable to devote much time to her children lately and why was she afraid of catching infectious diseases?
5. What type of childhood did Kelly have?
6. Why had Kelly's parents not told her about her father's prostate cancer?
7. How did Kelly's parents differ in their parenting styles when Kelly was a teenager?
8. How did a twelve-inch boa constrictor become a household pet and how did Kelly feel about it?
9. Describe some of Kelly's experiences during her hiking trip to Nepal.
10. Why did Mary ensure that Kelly's prom dress was conservative when she attended Booker's prom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Illness takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the depiction of illness in Kelly's life? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Kelly Corrigan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why is it called simply THE MIDDLE PLACE? What was Kelly trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)