|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The school was run based on the operating philosophies of ________ schools, including 'pure learning' and 'academic freedom'.
2. Dewey had a different take on stimulus and response that stated _________.
3. President Gillman later fired all ________ faculty from the school effectively removing anyone teaching philosophy.
4. Dewey offered to combine the Laboratory school and ________ elementary in order to keep the funding of a wealthy patron.
5. Pragmatism states "people are the agents of their own destinies" and was not used by _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the new requirement of all students who enrolled in Harvard Professional Schools?
2. What did Randolph Bourne believe his purpose in life was, according to this book?
3. Why was Pierce fired from his job at Johns Hopkins University around January of 1884?
4. What was happened that made it difficult for Dewey to get into Chicago to start his new job?
5. Who are the two authors who both worked on a theory of pragmatism, though they were vastly different?
6. What did Dewey believe about mind and reality in his time after leaving Chicago?
7. When Charles Pierce arrived at the school, what did he announce he was going to revive?
8. What did Pierce have to do because of the cancer that ravaged his body in his later years?
9. What did Dewey do after leaving the University of Michigan at the age of thirty-five?
10. What did Dewey and Holmes think about the idea of giving freedom to others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is a strong character in this manuscript as well, helping to bring together the members of the Metaphysical Club.
Part 1: Why do you think education was so important to society during those times?
Part 2: Do you think education is more or less important today? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think so many great thinkers ended up at Harvard?
Essay Topic 2
To a certain extent, many of the families of the thinkers had certain advantages over other families in the area.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair for some families to have advantages in relation to education? Why or why not?
Part 2: If the educational playing field could be completely level, do you think there could be great thinkers? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think so many of the thinkers in this story had the success they did?
Essay Topic 3
While many people do not realize this, the North was not united in its views before the start of the Civil War with the South.
Part 1: Why didn't the Unionists and the Abolitionists get along during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think the North still decided to take up arms and fight the South during the war?
Part 3: Do you think the North or South should have seceded as a result of the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)