|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Pierce did not like James' or Dewey's version of his work and thus attempted to bring forth his own form called __________.
2. Within his theory of pragmatism, James came to believe that some beliefs were __________.
3. This new organization was sold to ___________ stating that it protected university and college professors from being terminated for differing thoughts.
4. Holmes greatest achievement was __________.
5. In 1918 a new political party called _________ was created by Melusina Fay Pierce.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two authors who both worked on a theory of pragmatism, though they were vastly different?
2. What was never the intention of the American Association of University Professors though it ended up being the case anyway?
3. What was the greatest achievement of Holmes which occurred before he was 40 years old?
4. Why was Pierce fired from his job at Johns Hopkins University around January of 1884?
5. What did James finally comes to believe about the beliefs that people had?
6. What did Dewey and Holmes think about the idea of giving freedom to others?
7. Why was the book, "The Process of Government," fairly obscure in the market?
8. What would happen if Harper did not like something a teacher said during a lecture?
9. What did Morris allow Dewey to do as he was his star pupil and eventually good friend?
10. What are modern societies led by, according to the studies of Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some cases of these great thinkers of the book, the relationship between the father and son influenced the discoveries and the ideas.
Part 1: Why do you think the father figure has so much influence over the son?
Part 2: Why do you think these great thinkers were at odds with their fathers in many cases?
Part 3: What might have happened had the fathers and sons gotten along better? Why?
Essay Topic 2
It is curious that the main characters in this story are men and that the great thoughts of America seem to come only from men.
Part 1: Why do you think this book focused on the ideas of men rather than including more women thinkers?
Part 2: Why do you think women were unable to become a part of the Metaphysical Club?
Part 3: Do you think the author believes women did not contribute anything of value at this time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Morris was trying to decide how to reconcile science and faith in his own mind - a popular topic of discussion and study.
Part 1: Why do you think faith and science have a difficult time 'getting along' in terms of their ideas?
Part 2: Do you think that faith and science have common ground? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can science and father ever be reconciled? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)