|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The United States was currently in the middle of a ________ and many employers were cutting wages.
2. After Hall discredited several candidates for the professor of philosophy position, one was finally hired in __________.
3. In many societies in the early 20th Century the concept of ________ began to appear.
4. University presidents or ____________ did not accept the formation of the American Association of University Professors.
5. Despite his extensive training both at home and abroad Morris was unable to attain a professorship until offered one at __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dewey believe about mind and reality in his time after leaving Chicago?
2. What did Dewey and Holmes think about the idea of giving freedom to others?
3. What did Pierce think of his brother's book, "The Will to Believe" when he read it?
4. Why was the book, "The Process of Government," fairly obscure in the market?
5. Why did Pierce and his wife go to New York after he was fired from the Coast Survey?
6. Why was the fourteenth amendment added to the Constitution after the Civil War?
7. What is it said that pragmatism helps reformers, misfits, and geniuses do in their lives?
8. What would happen if Harper did not like something a teacher said during a lecture?
9. What was never the intention of the American Association of University Professors though it ended up being the case anyway?
10. What did Dewey do after leaving the University of Michigan at the age of thirty-five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles Pierce decided that he wanted to found the Metaphysical Club in order to get the help he needed with a law he was trying to complete.
Part 1: Do you think it's better to get input from others on work you do or to do work on your own? Why?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to ask others to contribute to your theory and the story of your theory? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the idea of the Metaphysical Club was a good one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the great thinkers in this book worked on ideas about probability and the laws of errors.
Part 1: Why do you think probability was such a hot topic in those days?
Part 2: Why do you think society wanted to learn more about probability? How would these findings influence their lives?
Part 3: Do you think probability is an important topic of study? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Agassiz decided to teach others about science through the use of observation and of hands on experience.
Part 1: Why do you think observation is such a helpful teaching tool in relation to science?
Part 2: Why do you think hands on experience is such a helpful teaching method in relation to science?
Part 3: Do you prefer hands on learning? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)