|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon invite Maren to attend in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Clara compare O'Neill's signature to on his note?
3. In Chapter 1, what color are Maren's eyes?
4. In Chapter 3, what instrument does Auntie play?
5. In Chapter 3, what is the design of Scarff's pipe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who cursed Scarff and Verity and why?
2. In Chapter 12, who peeks into the window at Verity's home and what does he see?
3. In Chapter 7, what has O'Neill sent to Auntie, Clara, and Maren?
4. How is a section of Pinkney's field set up for the medicine show?
5. In Chapter 4, what happens when Maren tells Simon that she wants a pair of gloves at the medicine show?
6. In Chapter 9, who makes a delivery and what do they bring?
7. How does Pilsner fit into the family in Chapter 10?
8. Who are Scarff and O'Neill?
9. In Chapter 9, how does O'Neill send a message and what news does he send?
10. In Chapter 11 where does O'Neill sleep and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O’Neill creates a special painting for Clara. What elements are in the painting? What do each of these elements symbolize? What does the painting symbolize regarding O’Neill’s feelings for Clara?
Essay Topic 2
There are several mysteries in the novel: the parentage of Maren, Clara, and O’Neill; the relationship between Auntie and Scarff; and the way that Maren is becoming a mermaid. What mysteries are solved in the book? How are those mysteries solved? What mysteries are left unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Simon is a young man who wants to marry Maren. In what ways is Simon obsessed with Maren? Does his obsession grow or lessen when he learns that Maren is ill? How does Simon’s obsession lead to tragedy?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)