|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who invited Verity and Scarff to join him as a traveling merchant?
(a) Willie Brady.
(b) Peter Creavy.
(c) Davy Martin.
(d) Manfred Mayer.
2. In Chapter 6, how many days are there until the event that Simon invites Maren to?
(a) 8 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 6 days.
3. In Chapter 3, who gave O'Neill to Scarff?
(a) A priest.
(b) An old woman.
(c) A lion.
(d) A bear.
4. In Chapter 1, who does Auntie say brought Clara to her?
(a) A dog.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A lion.
(d) A stork.
5. What is the year at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Maren tell Simon that she wants to buy?
2. What is Auntie making at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Scarff say that Verity was raised?
4. In Chapter 3, how many lanterns hang from the posts and tree branches?
5. In Chapter 6, how long until Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how is Maren changing?
2. In Chapter 12, why does Clara scold O'Neill for promising Osbert licorice lozenges?
3. Who cursed Scarff and Verity and why?
4. In Chapter 11 where does O'Neill sleep and why?
5. In Chapter 9, how does O'Neill send a message and what news does he send?
6. In Chapter 7, what has O'Neill sent to Auntie, Clara, and Maren?
7. In Chapter 8, what do Auntie and Clara tell Simon when he comes to take Maren to a dance?
8. How does Pilsner fit into the family in Chapter 10?
9. In Chapter 3, how does the village celebrate when Scarff and O'Neill arrive?
10. In Chapter 7, what do Maren and Clara do after breakfast on Christmas morning?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)