|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ricci do to the first Chinese idiograph?
2. In Ricci's version of the story of the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves," how did he depict Jesus?
3. What kind of map did Ricci print in 1602?
4. At the end of "Chapter One: Building the Palace", what does the author encourages his readers to do?
5. How long had the Alaleona and Pellicani families been fighting when Ricci was a child in Macerata?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Ricci's rules for picking a location to store the information?
2. Who was Alessandro Valignano and what did he think about the possibility of Asians and Japanese converting to Christianity?
3. Where was the Memory Palace to be built?
4. Why does Matteo Ricci agree to use his mnemonic techniques to help Governor Lu's sons?
5. What did Ricci need the new image associated with the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" to represent?
6. What did Ricci do to the second idiograph and how did the meaning change?
7. What were the three major religions in China?
8. During the 16th century, why did the Jesuits send two copies of their letters on two different passages when they wrote home?
9. What did Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, think of mnemonic devices?
10. How did Ricci use Chinese ideograph did Ricci use for his first image?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the 16th century, the political life of Italy was unstable. Connected by a number of city-states, the country was constantly drawn into internal and external feuds, war and violence. Adding to the chaos was the powerful presence of the Catholic Church and the role of the pope. Taking into account his age, his family's position in the community, and his education, explain how these events influenced Matteo Ricci.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Marian sodalities for the Jesuits and compare/contrast the Jesuit view of Mary with the Chinese view of Mary.
Essay Topic 3
Because of isolationism, the Chinese were reluctant to accept Western ideas in religion; however, the Chinese were very receptive to the Western ideas of science. Compare and contrast the discoveries made during the 16th century in Europe and China.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)