|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
2. In the 16th century, who provided funds to Christopher Plantin to write his Bible?
3. What did Ricci do to the first Chinese idiograph?
4. In the 16th century who was Gian Pietro Maffei?
5. Toward the end of his life, what irony struck Ricci about the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matteo Ricci agree to use his mnemonic techniques to help Governor Lu's sons?
2. During the 16th century, why did the Jesuits send two copies of their letters on two different passages when they wrote home?
3. What did Ricci need the new image associated with the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" to represent?
4. Where was the Memory Palace to be built?
5. What were some of the outside influences affecting Ricci's home city of Macerata?
6. What were conditions in Ricci's home city of Macerata when he was a young boy?
7. What experiences led to Ricci's skill in drawing maps?
8. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", what was the size of the Memory Palace that Matteo Ricci used to teach the Chinese people?
9. What were Ricci's rules for picking a location to store the information?
10. According to the author Jonathan D. Spence, how did the Chinese view the use of mnemonic devices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ricci's attitude towards money and the way his attitude reflected or disagreed with the Jesuit philosophy about money and profit.
Essay Topic 2
In the third picture, Ricci uses the story of Lot and the city of Sodom as an analogy to the rule and death of Pope Paul IV. Using these two characters and their stories, discuss the theme that power and weakness rise and fall together and political abuses of power destroy public morality and respect for tradition.
Essay Topic 3
Matteo Ricci appreciated much about China and the Chinese, including the Confucian moral system. Explain the Confucian moral system and the way it compares and contrasts to another major religion, such as Judaism, Catholicism or Islam.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)