|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", who promoted morality in China during the 16th century?
(a) The Chinese high priests.
(b) The Jesuit missionaries.
(c) The Chinese bureaucracy.
(d) The Chinese religions.
2. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, what was wrong with the science taught to the Chinese?
(a) It lacked fundamental principles.
(b) It disregarded Western discoveries and advances.
(c) It focused on outdated principles.
(d) It led to many disasters to the environment.
3. What was the state of Ricci's financial situation during most of his time in China?
(a) Stable, with regular subsidies from his Jesuit order.
(b) Poverty, with a constant threat of bankruptcy and expulsion.
(c) Unstable, ranging from poverty to riches on a steady basis.
(d) Increasing, as more wealthy Chinese convert to Christianity and begin to tithe to his church.
4. What did Ricci deplore that was widespread in Peking during the 16th century?
5. What did the fourth ideograph, "hao," represent in the Chinese language during the 16th century?
6. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", which of these is NOT one of the things that Ricci appreciated in China?
(a) China was opposed to slavery.
(b) China had excellent gardens and beautiful porcelain.
(c) China had great diversity.
(d) China had extraordinary cooking methods.
7. In Renaissance Italy, what city was a stop on a pilgrim route from Rome to Lareto?
8. How many children were in Ricci's family?
9. How many pictures are in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
10. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what doctrine were the Chinese not ready to understand when Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China?
(a) The Incarnation.
(b) The Epiphany.
(c) The Resurrection.
(d) The Assumption.
11. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
(a) "Woman" and "child" created a reference to the Virgin Mary.
(b) "Man," "woman," and "child" created a reference to the Holy Family.
(c) "Man" and "woman" created a reference to the marriage of Mary and Joseph.
(d) "Woman" and "girl" created a reference to Mary's virginity.
12. Where did Ricci place the new picture of the fourth idiograph "hao" in the Memory Palace?
(a) In the barn just outside the back door.
(b) In the southwest corner of the reception hall.
(c) In the southwest corner of the garden.
(d) In the nursery on the second floor.
13. Who was arrested, beaten and imprisoned for trying to make money by keeping tribute given to the guards at the Xiangshan border during the 16th century when Ricci was in China??
(a) Matteo Ricci.
(b) A cook employed by Matteo Ricci.
(c) A courier of Jesuit letters.
(d) Ignatius Loyola.
14. According to Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom, what is the subject of the series of prints that made up third picture "The Men of Sodom"?
(a) Lot's life.
(b) John the Baptist's life.
(c) The Apostle Peter's life.
(d) Mary's life.
15. According to the author in "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what was the reaction to the death of Pope Paul IV in 1559?
(a) Joyous rioting in the city.
(b) Jesuits were expelled from foreign missionaries.
(c) Grief and wailing.
(d) Enemies capitalized on the Church's vulnerability.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Renaissance, why were the Jesuits NOT considered a mendicant order?
2. To which of the Buddhist beliefs was Ricci particularly hostile when he was a missionary in 16th century China?
3. How old was Matteo Ricci during the time of the Inquisition and death of Pope Paul IV in the 16th century?
4. When Ricci was a missionary in China, what did he Ricci report to Girolamo Costa?
5. During the 16th century, how did Yu Chunxi react to Ricci's criticism of the Buddhist belief that Ricci was particularly hostile?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)