|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Pope Paul IV buried in the 16th century?
(a) Buried deep and late at night so his corpse would not be stolen.
(b) With modest trappings and ceremony to honor a common man.
(c) Buried in a pauper's grave to show his humble roots.
(d) With great pomp and circumstance befitting the position of a church leader.
2. When Ricci was a 16th century missionary in China, how did he use the event of the Inquisition when teaching the Chinese?
(a) He compared the event to the persecution of Jews around the world.
(b) He compared the event to the story of Sodom and its moral extremes.
(c) He compared the event to Judas' betrayal of Jesus to the Romans.
(d) He compared the event to conflict in China between the Buddhists and the emperor.
3. During the 16th century, why had Pope Paul IV given the Inquisitors in Spain great power?
(a) To run out the disbelievers of the Catholic church.
(b) To raise the status of the clergy over the government.
(c) To seek revenge for the Crucifixion of Christ.
(d) To vie with the King of Spain for political control.
4. Who was arrested, beaten and imprisoned for trying to make money by keeping tribute given to the guards at the Xiangshan border during the 16th century when Ricci was in China??
(a) A cook employed by Matteo Ricci.
(b) Ignatius Loyola.
(c) A courier of Jesuit letters.
(d) Matteo Ricci.
5. Why was Pope Paul IV unpopular during his reign in the 16th century?
(a) His determination to expand Catholicism.
(b) His greed emptied the pockets of the commoners.
(c) His role in the Inquisition.
(d) His leadership in the Crusades.
6. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", who is Girolamo Costa?
(a) A friend of Ricci who entered the Jesuit order within a year of Ricci.
(b) A young seminarian working with Ricci in China.
(c) An Italian government official who speaks against Ricci.
(d) The leader of the Jesuit order in Italy.
7. Who was the college teacher in Rome that maintained a correspondence with Ricci after Ricci left school?
(a) Thomas Aquinas.
8. When Ricci was a missionary in China, what did he Ricci report to Girolamo Costa?
(a) The Chinese marvel when Ricci tells them stories of the shrine to Mary at Loreto.
(b) The Chinese require patience and direction as they learn about the Christian faith.
(c) The Chinese mission needs more funds.
(d) The Chinese have requested additional Chinese missionaries.
9. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what effect did Ricci's reflections on the Virgin Mary have on him?
(a) They give him solace.
(b) They make him nervous.
(c) They make him sad.
(d) They provide him with Chinese friends.
10. What was the memory image that Ricci associated with the altered second image?
(a) A farmer's market full of local fruit and vegetables for sale.
(b) A farmer at planting time, hoeing in a field.
(c) A farmer holding a sickle, ready to cut the crops in the field.
(d) A farmer heading to market with a wagon full of crops.
11. What event was depicted in the second picture "The Road to Emmaus" that Ricci showed Cheng Dayue?
(a) Six disciples at the feeding of the multitudes with loaves and fishes.
(b) Christ encountering two disciples on the road to Emmaus after his resurrection.
(c) Two disciples at the tomb of Jesus, after His resurrection.
(d) Christ, His mother, and two disciples at the crucifixion.
12. How many pictures are in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
13. Why did Ricci alter the story of the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
(a) To communicate the idea that sin brings God's judgment.
(b) To communicate the idea that God is merciful.
(c) To communicate the idea that man is sinful.
(d) To communicate the idea that woman tempts man into sin.
14. How many children were in Ricci's family?
15. Why did Ricci wish he had more money during the 16th century when he was in China?
(a) To buy books to further his plans for the conversion of the Chinese people.
(b) To build a new church for his Christian converts.
(c) To provide more financial resources to the impoverished Chinese farmers.
(d) To bribe government officials to leave his mission alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
2. During the Renaissance, how did Ignatius Loyola want students to learn?
3. Before Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, who was thought to have engaged in sexual misconduct while in China?
4. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, why were the Chinese eager to learn?
5. What does the first picture depict in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)