|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was arrested, beaten and imprisoned for trying to make money by keeping tribute given to the guards at the Xiangshan border during the 16th century when Ricci was in China??
(a) A cook employed by Matteo Ricci.
(b) Ignatius Loyola.
(c) A courier of Jesuit letters.
(d) Matteo Ricci.
2. During the Renaissance, who made up the groups in China that "pledged themselves to lives of heightened spiritual service"?
(a) Religious groups of Chinese missionaries.
(b) Groups of Jesuit nuns.
(c) Groups of Jesuits priests.
(d) Religious groups of Chinese men and women.
3. What event was depicted in the second picture "The Road to Emmaus" that Ricci showed Cheng Dayue?
(a) Six disciples at the feeding of the multitudes with loaves and fishes.
(b) Christ encountering two disciples on the road to Emmaus after his resurrection.
(c) Two disciples at the tomb of Jesus, after His resurrection.
(d) Christ, His mother, and two disciples at the crucifixion.
4. Where and when did the Jesuits publish their first book?
(a) Rome in 1559.
(b) Jerusalem in 1459.
(c) Lisbon in 1570.
(d) Paris in 1539.
5. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
(a) "Man" and "woman" created a reference to the marriage of Mary and Joseph.
(b) "Woman" and "child" created a reference to the Virgin Mary.
(c) "Woman" and "girl" created a reference to Mary's virginity.
(d) "Man," "woman," and "child" created a reference to the Holy Family.
6. Why did Ricci alter the story of the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
(a) To communicate the idea that God is merciful.
(b) To communicate the idea that sin brings God's judgment.
(c) To communicate the idea that man is sinful.
(d) To communicate the idea that woman tempts man into sin.
7. Before Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, who was thought to have engaged in sexual misconduct while in China?
(a) Matteo Ricci.
(b) Francis Xavier.
(c) Ignatius Loyola.
(d) Pope Paul IV.
8. During the Renaissance, how did Ignatius Loyola want students to learn?
(a) By reading the Bible and relating it to the sciences.
(b) By committing many subjects to memory.
(c) By working in small groups to teach each other.
(d) By writing sections of textbooks in their own hand.
9. When they were in their missions during the 16th century, why did Ricci and Ruggieri often want money?
(a) To pay for transportation for the Chinese to come to the city.
(b) To procure the proper gifts for the Chinese to impress them.
(c) To travel outside the major cities to preach to the people in the countryside.
(d) To buy Bibles for the fifteen Christian converts.
10. Which of these was NOT a typical gift that Ricci would give to the Chinese during his time as a missionary in the late 16th century?
(a) Religious paintings.
(b) Bibles signed by the reigning pope.
(c) A small harpsichord.
(d) A rhinoceros horn.
11. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, what was his goal in teaching different subjects to the Chinese?
(a) To fight illiteracy among the rural poor of China.
(b) To inspire the Chinese to open their doors to the world.
(c) To provide a Jesuit-based education for the upper classes.
(d) To draw them closer to Christianity.
12. Which one of these is NOT part of the location where Ricci placed the new image in the Memory Palace?
(a) At the doorway of the garden.
(b) To the left of the huihui women.
(c) Diagonally across from the two warriors.
(d) The northwest corner of the reception hall.
13. During the Renaissance, what did Ignatius Loyola encourage Jesuits to do with their possessions?
(a) Sell them.
(b) Keep them safe.
(c) Turn them over to the Jesuit order.
(d) Share them.
14. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what effect did Ricci's reflections on the Virgin Mary have on him?
(a) They make him nervous.
(b) They give him solace.
(c) They provide him with Chinese friends.
(d) They make him sad.
15. According to "Chapter Five, The Second Picture: The Road to Emmaus", how many people were in the second picture "The Road to Emmaus" that Ricci showed Cheng Dayue?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the state of Ricci's financial situation during most of his time in China?
2. During the Renaissance, what was the name of the groups in China that "pledged themselves to lives of heightened spiritual service"?
3. How was Pope Paul IV buried in the 16th century?
4. According to Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom, what is the subject of the series of prints that made up third picture "The Men of Sodom"?
5. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", who is Girolamo Costa?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)