|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tried to stop the violence in the city of Macerata while Ricci was growing up there?
(a) Local sheriff and deputies.
(b) Italian soldiers.
(c) Macerata police.
(d) Clergy and city fathers.
2. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
(a) A map of the Chinese seas with Westernized names.
(b) A world map with Chinese names for the countries of the world.
(c) A map of the New World for Jesuit missionaries set to travel there.
(d) A map of Europe with Chinese names.
3. What did this person who appeared in Ricci's most significant dream tell him to do?
(a) Establish a mission in Shanghai.
(b) Begin preaching in Peking.
(c) Set up an orphanage in Zhaoqing.
(d) Learn the Chinese language.
4. Matteo Ricci lived during which period of time?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Enlightenment.
(c) The Medieval Period.
(d) The Reformation.
5. In his book of memory, where did Ricci places the four memory images?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In his reception hall.
(d) In his garden.
6. What did the Chinese seem to prefer in its military?
(a) Diplomacy and nationalism over expansion.
(b) Pomp and circumstance over actual combat.
(c) Actual combat over pomp and circumstance.
(d) Expansion over diplomacy and nationalism.
7. Who ruled China from 1573 to 1620, almost the entire time Ricci was there?
(a) Emperor Yu.
(b) Emperor Zhuzong.
(c) Emperor Kwan.
(d) Emperor Wanli.
8. How did the Chinese people respond to Ricci's mnemonic abilities?
(a) They were stunned.
(b) They were not impressed.
(c) They were indifferent.
(d) They were frightened.
9. Who were the "huihui of the cross" during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
10. During the trip in 1578, what did the ships on which Ricci was riding pick up in Mozambique?
(a) Several hundred slaves.
(b) Nuns and orphans bound for Portugal.
(c) Dysentery and malaria.
(d) Crates of Bibles for the missions.
11. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
(b) Ludolfus Saxony.
(d) Ignatius Loyola.
12. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", which one of these does NOT describe Governor Lu?
(a) He was the head of one of the highest families in Chinese society.
(b) He was employed high in the Ming dynasty bureaucracy.
(c) He forbade the Chinese people to listen to Ricci.
(d) He was preparing his songs for their bureaucratic examinations.
13. How did Ricci display his sense of ecumenism in China when he was a missionary?
(a) He allowed Chinese women and children to help with the daily Mass.
(b) He sometimes dressed like a Buddhist monk to show respect.
(c) He held services with Jews, Muslims, and Christians.
(d) He used the ideas from Chinese religions in his sermons.
14. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, whose mixture of "cruelty, dignity, depravity, and hypocrisy" would prevent them from truly living the faith?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Indians.
15. To whom did the Chinese emperor leave many matters to be handled?
(a) Administrative eunuchs.
(b) His appointed cabinet.
(c) Military generals.
(d) Elected representatives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the Chinese practiced the art of splitting their idiographs?
2. In Chinese, what is a "huihui"?
3. Which war(s) did Ricci study that influenced his ideas about warfare?
4. Whom did Ricci meet in Lisbon, Portugal, who died without an heir?
5. What was the meaning of "yao" when Ricci translated devotional prayers while he was a missionary in China?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)