|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Christopher Plantin take to write his Bible, the pinnacle of the Counter-Reformation, in the 16th century?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
2. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", what was/were a destructive and common part of life in China?
3. What did Ricci do to the first Chinese idiograph?
(a) Cut it into four different idiographs.
(b) Cut it into three different idiographs.
(c) Combined it with the idiograph for peace.
(d) Cut it diagonally.
4. What did the Chinese seem to prefer in its military?
(a) Expansion over diplomacy and nationalism.
(b) Diplomacy and nationalism over expansion.
(c) Actual combat over pomp and circumstance.
(d) Pomp and circumstance over actual combat.
5. How did Ricci display his sense of ecumenism in China when he was a missionary?
(a) He allowed Chinese women and children to help with the daily Mass.
(b) He sometimes dressed like a Buddhist monk to show respect.
(c) He used the ideas from Chinese religions in his sermons.
(d) He held services with Jews, Muslims, and Christians.
6. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", why did Ricci alter the original Biblical story?
(a) He realizes the Apostle Peter in the picture looks like him.
(b) He knows the Chinese have read the Bible.
(c) He needs to get the image to represent Christ's death and atonement.
(d) He wants to see how much the Chinese remember from his other stories.
7. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
(a) A map of the New World for Jesuit missionaries set to travel there.
(b) A map of Europe with Chinese names.
(c) A map of the Chinese seas with Westernized names.
(d) A world map with Chinese names for the countries of the world.
8. Who defended the use of these mnemonic devices as part of the moral regulation of memory?
(a) Cornelius Agrippa.
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
9. During the trip in 1578, what did the ships on which Ricci was riding pick up in Mozambique?
(a) Nuns and orphans bound for Portugal.
(b) Dysentery and malaria.
(c) Several hundred slaves.
(d) Crates of Bibles for the missions.
10. Which war(s) did Ricci study that influenced his ideas about warfare?
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The Punic Wars.
(c) The Hundred Years War.
(d) The Peloponnesian War.
11. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", to whom did Ricci give the first picture?
(a) Kim Suk.
(b) Kwok Sing.
(c) Cheng Dayue.
(d) Dayue Cheng.
12. What effect did the Japanese threat have on Ricci?
(a) The Chinese welcomed Christians and embraced Ricci.
(b) The Chinese ignored both the Christians and Ricci.
(c) The Chinese tolerated Christians but ignored Ricci.
(d) The Chinese despised Christians and feared Ricci.
13. Who ruled China from 1573 to 1620, almost the entire time Ricci was there?
(a) Emperor Wanli.
(b) Emperor Yu.
(c) Emperor Zhuzong.
(d) Emperor Kwan.
14. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what was significant about the Chinese ideograph "yao"?
(a) It was easy to write but difficult to translate.
(b) It was not used by many Chinese.
(c) It had five different meanings.
(d) It was easy to translate but difficult to write.
15. How did the Jesuits ensure that their messages were delivered back and forth during the 16th century?
(a) They send two copies of their letters via two different sea passages.
(b) They sent one copy eastward and one copy westward.
(c) They sent one across the desert and one across the sea.
(d) They sent one copy over land and one copy over sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to stop the violence in the city of Macerata while Ricci was growing up there?
2. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
3. What kind of map did Ricci print in 1602?
4. Ricci grew up in Macerata during a period of what?
5. What were Ricci's rules for picking an area in the memory palace to store the new image of the idiograph "wu"?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)