|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", why did Ricci alter the original Biblical story?
(a) He wants to see how much the Chinese remember from his other stories.
(b) He realizes the Apostle Peter in the picture looks like him.
(c) He needs to get the image to represent Christ's death and atonement.
(d) He knows the Chinese have read the Bible.
2. During the trip in 1578, what did the ships on which Ricci was riding pick up in Mozambique?
(a) Nuns and orphans bound for Portugal.
(b) Dysentery and malaria.
(c) Several hundred slaves.
(d) Crates of Bibles for the missions.
3. During the Renaissance, what was one element missing in the training of Jesuits while in Rome?
(a) Instruction in similarities among religions.
(b) Instruction in alternative doctrines.
(c) Instruction in world languages.
(d) Instruction in world cultures.
4. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", to whom did Ricci give the first picture?
(a) Kim Suk.
(b) Kwok Sing.
(c) Dayue Cheng.
(d) Cheng Dayue.
5. To what does Ricci compare a ship's pilot?
(a) The eyes of the Emperor.
(b) The hand of God.
(c) The soul of the crew.
(d) The mind of God.
6. What was the new image of the idiograph of "wu"?
(a) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior poised with a spear to counter-attack.
(b) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with his spear and a second warrior who grabs the first warrior's wrist to prevent him from striking the blow.
(c) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior who cringes in fear awaiting the fatal blow.
(d) An image of two warriors facing each other, hands extended in peace with broken spears at their feet.
7. In Ricci's version of the story of the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves," how did he depict Jesus?
(a) As a wise man.
(b) As a charismatic leader.
(c) As the son of God.
(d) As a lowly carpenter.
8. What did the Chinese seem to prefer in its military?
(a) Pomp and circumstance over actual combat.
(b) Actual combat over pomp and circumstance.
(c) Expansion over diplomacy and nationalism.
(d) Diplomacy and nationalism over expansion.
9. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what tenet was similar to the three major religions of China?
10. From whom did Ricci devise this memory method?
(a) The Roman poet Ovid.
(b) The Greek poet Simonides.
(c) The Greek poet Aristotle.
(d) The Renaissance playwright Christopher Marlowe.
11. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", when Ricci cut the idiograph in half horizontally, what did the two halves mean?
(a) The upper half meant "east," and the bottom half meant "man."
(b) The upper half meant "west," and the bottom half meant "woman."
(c) The upper half meant "woman," and the bottom half meant "west."
(d) The upper half meant "man," and the bottom half meant "east."
12. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
13. Who defended the use of these mnemonic devices as part of the moral regulation of memory?
(a) Cornelius Agrippa.
(b) Thomas Aquinas.
14. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
(b) Ignatius Loyola.
(c) Ludolfus Saxony.
15. How long did Christopher Plantin take to write his Bible, the pinnacle of the Counter-Reformation, in the 16th century?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matteo Ricci teach the Chinese people?
2. Describe the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves."
3. In what other way were mnemonic devices used during the 16th century?
4. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
5. How did the Chinese people respond to Ricci's mnemonic abilities?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)