|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the relationship between true religious experience and magical powers perceived during the 16th century?
(a) A clear distinction between true religious experience and magical powers.
(b) A vague line between true religious experience and magical powers.
(c) A merging of true religious experience and magical powers.
(d) An opposition between true religious experience and magical powers.
2. How did Ricci learn more about China?
(a) Through reading books and poetry of famous Chinese authors.
(b) Through studying Chinese religions.
(c) Through his seminary work with the Jesuits.
(d) Through his journeys across its rivers, lakes and canals.
3. Which war(s) did Ricci study that influenced his ideas about warfare?
(a) The Peloponnesian War.
(b) The Hundred Years War.
(c) The Punic Wars.
(d) The Crusades.
4. Where did Ricci spend five years as an apprentice?
5. In the 16th century, who announced his plan to conquer Korea and overthrow the Chinese government?
(a) Tenno Heika.
(b) Amemune Takatsugi.
(c) Takama no Harahiro.
(d) Hideyoshi Toyotomi.
6. How long had the Alaleona and Pellicani families been fighting when Ricci was a child in Macerata?
(a) For twenty years.
(b) For five years.
(c) For fifty years.
(d) For ten years.
7. What did Ricci realize about his attempt at ecumenism when he was a missionary in China?
(a) He realized that women and children were not accepted in Chinese society.
(b) He realized this was very successful and began to encourage other Jesuit missionaries to dress like the locals.
(c) He realized that the tenets of the Chinese religions did not align with Christian tenets.
(d) He realized this was not the way to high stature so he began to focus on perceptions of his social status.
8. To whom did the Chinese emperor leave many matters to be handled?
(a) Military generals.
(b) His appointed cabinet.
(c) Administrative eunuchs.
(d) Elected representatives.
9. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", what was/were a destructive and common part of life in China?
10. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", when Ricci travels from Nanjing to Nanchang, who appears in his most significant dream?
(b) Peter the Apostle.
11. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
(b) Ignatius Loyola.
(c) Ludolfus Saxony.
12. According to Ricci, which one of these is NOT a way in which memory palaces can be built?
(a) Drawn from paintings in the emperor's palace.
(b) Drawn from a combination of reality that exists and from pure imagination and fiction.
(c) Drawn from reality that exists.
(d) Drawn from pure imagination and fiction
13. How did the Jesuits ensure that their messages were delivered back and forth during the 16th century?
(a) They send two copies of their letters via two different sea passages.
(b) They sent one copy over land and one copy over sea.
(c) They sent one copy eastward and one copy westward.
(d) They sent one across the desert and one across the sea.
14. How many Christians were in the Japanese army during the 16th century?
15. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
(a) A map of the New World for Jesuit missionaries set to travel there.
(b) A map of Europe with Chinese names.
(c) A map of the Chinese seas with Westernized names.
(d) A world map with Chinese names for the countries of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what was significant about the Chinese ideograph "yao"?
2. In the 16th century, which Chinese religions had Trinitarian aspects?
3. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", how did Ricci believe that humans could remember anything?
4. What did Ricci do to the first Chinese idiograph?
5. Who were the "huihui of the cross" during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)