|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Nine, Inside the Palace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did the Japanese threat have on Ricci?
(a) The Chinese despised Christians and feared Ricci.
(b) The Chinese welcomed Christians and embraced Ricci.
(c) The Chinese tolerated Christians but ignored Ricci.
(d) The Chinese ignored both the Christians and Ricci.
2. How was Pope Paul IV buried in the 16th century?
(a) With great pomp and circumstance befitting the position of a church leader.
(b) Buried in a pauper's grave to show his humble roots.
(c) With modest trappings and ceremony to honor a common man.
(d) Buried deep and late at night so his corpse would not be stolen.
3. According to "Chapter Nine: Inside the Palace", what was Ricci wearing inside the palace?
(a) A priest's cassock with a hooded cowl.
(b) A robe of purple silk trimmed with blue.
(c) Vestments for a celebratory mass.
(d) A coat of many colors.
4. Who were the "huihui of the cross" during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
5. On this trip in 1578, what skills did Ricci develop?
(a) Mapmaking and navigating through bad weather.
(b) Astronomy and alchemy.
(c) Engineering and sailing.
(d) Foreign languages and painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
2. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
3. Where did Ricci place the new picture of the fourth idiograph "hao" in the Memory Palace?
4. What did Ricci deplore that was widespread in Peking during the 16th century?
5. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", which one of these does NOT describe Governor Lu?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)