|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the Renaissance, how did Ignatius Loyola want students to learn?
(a) By reading the Bible and relating it to the sciences.
(b) By writing sections of textbooks in their own hand.
(c) By committing many subjects to memory.
(d) By working in small groups to teach each other.
2. How many children were in Ricci's family?
3. In Ricci's version of the story of the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves," to whom did he compare Jesus?
(a) To Chinese leaders in the government.
(b) To Chinese farmers in the countryside.
(c) To Chinese sages in their tradition.
(d) To Chinese mystics in the temples.
4. Who criticized the use of "monstrous" images for causing "madness and frenzy instead of profound and sure memory"?
(a) Ignatius Loyola.
(b) Ludolfus of Saxony.
(c) Cornelius Agrippa.
(d) Thomas Aquinas.
5. From whom was Macerata in constant danger from attack?
(a) The Muslims.
(b) The Papal Police.
(c) The Ottomans.
(d) The Turks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ricci was a 16th century missionary in China, how did he use the event of the Inquisition when teaching the Chinese?
2. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, which group was amenable, "soft" like women, ambivalent about war and ready to do what they were told?
3. According to Ricci, how is the size of the memory palace determined?
4. To which of the Buddhist beliefs was Ricci particularly hostile when he was a missionary in 16th century China?
5. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what concerned some Jesuits, including Ricci?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)