|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
(a) Lack of Christian works, such as the Bible.
(b) Repression from the government.
(c) Inability to understand the papacy.
(d) Hostility from other Chinese.
2. How did Ricci display his sense of ecumenism in China when he was a missionary?
(a) He used the ideas from Chinese religions in his sermons.
(b) He allowed Chinese women and children to help with the daily Mass.
(c) He sometimes dressed like a Buddhist monk to show respect.
(d) He held services with Jews, Muslims, and Christians.
3. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", when Ricci cut the idiograph in half horizontally, what did the two halves mean?
(a) The upper half meant "west," and the bottom half meant "woman."
(b) The upper half meant "east," and the bottom half meant "man."
(c) The upper half meant "woman," and the bottom half meant "west."
(d) The upper half meant "man," and the bottom half meant "east."
4. What is the subject of Ricci's book that he wrote while in Nanching?
(a) The teachings of the great members of Western civilization.
(b) Manners and behavior in Western cultures.
(c) Agriculture and animal husbandry in the Chinese countryside.
(d) An explanation of the Christian Bible.
5. What did this person who appeared in Ricci's most significant dream tell him to do?
(a) Set up an orphanage in Zhaoqing.
(b) Establish a mission in Shanghai.
(c) Begin preaching in Peking.
(d) Learn the Chinese language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ricci learn more about China?
2. How can Ricci's use of mnemonic devices be understood?
3. During the Renaissance, what was the focus of concern by the Jesuit missionaries in India?
4. How did Ricci change the meaning of the ideograph "yao"?
5. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what concerned some Jesuits, including Ricci?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)