|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, The First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
(a) Heard confessions every eight days.
(b) Tended to the sick.
(c) Practiced their devotions.
(d) Prepared meals for the passengers.
2. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
(a) Ignatius Loyola.
(b) Ludolfus Saxony.
3. How did the Jesuits ensure that their messages were delivered back and forth during the 16th century?
(a) They sent one across the desert and one across the sea.
(b) They sent one copy eastward and one copy westward.
(c) They sent one copy over land and one copy over sea.
(d) They send two copies of their letters via two different sea passages.
4. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, whose mixture of "cruelty, dignity, depravity, and hypocrisy" would prevent them from truly living the faith?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Japanese.
(d) The Chinese.
5. How many Christians were in the Japanese army during the 16th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
2. What did Matteo Ricci teach the Chinese people?
3. According to Ricci, which one of these is NOT a way in which memory palaces can be built?
4. Who defended the use of these mnemonic devices as part of the moral regulation of memory?
5. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)