|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, The First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can Ricci's use of mnemonic devices be understood?
(a) As part of a long Christian tradition of missionaries confronting purported magicians.
(b) As part of an anti-Jesuit movement to prevent Chinese conversions.
(c) As part of an encroachment of Western civilization on Asian cultures.
(d) As part of an anti-Christian movement.
2. What was the new image of the idiograph of "wu"?
(a) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior poised with a spear to counter-attack.
(b) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with his spear and a second warrior who grabs the first warrior's wrist to prevent him from striking the blow.
(c) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior who cringes in fear awaiting the fatal blow.
(d) An image of two warriors facing each other, hands extended in peace with broken spears at their feet.
3. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", how did Ricci believe that humans could remember anything?
(a) By writing the thing to be remembered over and over.
(b) By reciting over and over.
(c) By associating a memory with an image.
(d) By singing a song about the thing to be remembered.
4. Who tried to stop the violence in the city of Macerata while Ricci was growing up there?
(a) Local sheriff and deputies.
(b) Clergy and city fathers.
(c) Macerata police.
(d) Italian soldiers.
5. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
(b) Ludolfus Saxony.
(d) Ignatius Loyola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the meanings of the split idiographs of "wu"?
2. Ricci grew up in Macerata during a period of what?
3. On this trip in 1578, what skills did Ricci develop?
4. In the 16th century, who provided funds to Christopher Plantin to write his Bible?
5. Toward the end of his life, what irony struck Ricci about the Chinese?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)