|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, The First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can Ricci's use of mnemonic devices be understood?
(a) As part of a long Christian tradition of missionaries confronting purported magicians.
(b) As part of an anti-Jesuit movement to prevent Chinese conversions.
(c) As part of an encroachment of Western civilization on Asian cultures.
(d) As part of an anti-Christian movement.
2. Where was Ricci born?
(a) In Lisbon, Portugal.
(b) In Florence, Italy.
(c) In Macerata, Italy.
(d) In Peking, China.
3. Where did Ricci spend five years as an apprentice?
4. How did Ricci learn more about China?
(a) Through reading books and poetry of famous Chinese authors.
(b) Through his journeys across its rivers, lakes and canals.
(c) Through studying Chinese religions.
(d) Through his seminary work with the Jesuits.
5. According to Ricci, how is the size of the memory palace determined?
(a) By the number of good works the people perform.
(b) By the number of times the people receive the sacraments.
(c) By the amount of money the people give to the church.
(d) By how much the people wish to remember.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 16th century, who provided funds to Christopher Plantin to write his Bible?
2. What are mnemonic devices?
3. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
4. At the end of "Chapter One: Building the Palace", what does the author encourages his readers to do?
5. How many Christians were in the Japanese army during the 16th century?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)