|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Two, The First Image: The Warriors.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which war(s) did Ricci study that influenced his ideas about warfare?
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The Hundred Years War.
(c) The Peloponnesian War.
(d) The Punic Wars.
2. What did Matteo Ricci teach the Chinese people?
(a) How to read the Bible.
(b) How to build a memory palace.
(c) How to speak English.
(d) How to build better villages.
3. How did the Chinese people respond to Ricci's mnemonic abilities?
(a) They were stunned.
(b) They were not impressed.
(c) They were frightened.
(d) They were indifferent.
4. Where did Ricci spend five years as an apprentice?
5. Whom did Ricci meet in Lisbon, Portugal, who died without an heir?
(a) King John III of France.
(b) King Ferdinand of Spain.
(c) King Edward of England.
(d) King Sebastian of Portugal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of his life, what irony struck Ricci about the Chinese?
2. From whom did Ricci devise this memory method?
3. What are mnemonic devices?
4. When the king died without an heir, what effect did this have?
5. In the 16th century, who announced his plan to conquer Korea and overthrow the Chinese government?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)