|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, The First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, which group was amenable, "soft" like women, ambivalent about war and ready to do what they were told?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Chinese.
2. Whom did Ricci meet in Lisbon, Portugal, who died without an heir?
(a) King John III of France.
(b) King Edward of England.
(c) King Sebastian of Portugal.
(d) King Ferdinand of Spain.
3. How did Ricci learn more about China?
(a) Through studying Chinese religions.
(b) Through reading books and poetry of famous Chinese authors.
(c) Through his journeys across its rivers, lakes and canals.
(d) Through his seminary work with the Jesuits.
4. Where had Ricci traveled throughout 1578?
(a) From Portugal to India.
(b) From Italy to Egypt.
(c) From China to Japan.
(d) From India to Portugal.
5. To what does Ricci compare a ship's pilot?
(a) The mind of God.
(b) The soul of the crew.
(c) The hand of God.
(d) The eyes of the Emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
2. What did Matteo Ricci teach the Chinese people?
3. What did Ricci do to the first Chinese idiograph?
4. What were the meanings of the split idiographs of "wu"?
5. How did the Jesuits ensure that their messages were delivered back and forth during the 16th century?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)