|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best description of Rose and Jack's interaction with one another?
2. Who is Clara?
3. How do the people who gather remember Jack?
4. In what way did Jack sacrifice for Clara?
5. What made Clara not feel at home in Port William any more?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of funeral does Mat know Jack wanted to have?
2. What kind of things does Wheeler see that remind him of Jack?
3. What happened after Jack found Ruth struggling to breathe?
4. What happened to Ben not long after Jack paid him the money Jack borrowed from him?
5. What was Jack's relationship with his daughter Clara like?
6. What happens when Andy sees Jack right before he leaves?
7. Why does Wheeler go to Jack's farm?
8. What significant event occurred in Jack's life after Rose's death?
9. What does Andy do before he leaves Port William to go to college?
10. What happens to Jack after he has to rent out the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wendell Berry uses symbolism throughout The Memory of Old Jack. There is symbolism in the book title, in the chapter titles, and in the events that Jack remembers. Write an essay that focuses on three specific incidences of symbolism in the novel. Summarize the symbolism elements you have chosen to write about and explain what each element represents.
Essay Topic 2
Most of the novel shows that Jack is fraught with regret about things in this life. As he reflects on his life, it is apparent that he is not particularly happy with it, though perhaps he is content. The climax of the novel involves Jack's death. This combination does not necessarily make for a cheerful uplifting, novel. Write an essay that addresses the entire mood of the novel. Was the mood intended to be depressing? Did you find the mood inspiring? How effective was the mood in proving the author's point?
Essay Topic 3
The novel seems to use both exposition and flashbacks in the characters' memories to provide information about the past. Explain the difference between exposition and flashback and provide two examples of each literary element. Then explain whether or not you think this method of providing the reader with information about the past is effective.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)