|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Epilogue, in what month do the people gather on Jack's farm?
2. How does Andy characterize the woods and streams in Port William?
3. After Ben's death, how did Jack view Mat?
4. How does Andy's girlfriend feel about their relationship?
5. What was the reason for the relationship that Jack and Glad had with one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wheeler gives Elton the news about the farm, what does Wheeler do?
2. How did the townspeople feel about Rose McInnis and her husband?
3. What significant event occurred in Jack's life after Rose's death?
4. What happens in Chapter Nine when Jack goes back to his room?
5. What does Andy begin thinking about as his conversation with Jack comes to a lull?
6. What kind of things does Wheeler see that remind him of Jack?
7. What was the result of Jack's plans for Glad and Clara to take over the farm?
8. After his accident on the flooded roadway, what had Jack decided to do?
9. Why does Wheeler go to Jack's farm?
10. What happened between Jack and Rose following Jack's decision that he made after the accident on the flooded road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jack and Mat in an essay. How are they similar? How are they different? Which of their ethics are the same? Do you see any that are different? Focus on their work, their relationships with their wives, and their parenting techniques.
Essay Topic 2
The novel seems to use both exposition and flashbacks in the characters' memories to provide information about the past. Explain the difference between exposition and flashback and provide two examples of each literary element. Then explain whether or not you think this method of providing the reader with information about the past is effective.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares Clara with Ruth, her mother, and Jack, her father. How is she similar in personality to her parents and how is she different?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)