|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between Jack and Glad?
2. What is one of the questions that Jack asks Andy?
3. Why does Mat have an unusual amount of energy on the day people come to pay their respects to Jack?
4. What were Jack's wishes for burial?
5. How does Andy's girlfriend feel about their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wheeler go to Jack's farm?
2. Why is Mat annoyed with the preacher during Jack's funeral?
3. What was Jack's relationship with Glad like?
4. What kind of things does Wheeler see that remind him of Jack?
5. What kind of burial does Mat know Jack would have wanted to have?
6. What happened after Jack found Ruth struggling to breathe?
7. What was the result of Jack's plans for Glad and Clara to take over the farm?
8. How did the townspeople feel about Rose McInnis and her husband?
9. What happens when Andy sees Jack right before he leaves?
10. What does Andy begin thinking about as his conversation with Jack comes to a lull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mat tells Mattie the rabbit hunter story, the moral of the story is that people should be content with what they have in life and not strive to acquire more. Is that moral the moral of Jack's life? Was Jack truly content with what he had? Did Jack escape the temptation to strive for more in all areas of his life? Was Jack's contentment with life always a good thing in all aspects of his life? Write an essay that analyzes Mat's impression of Jack's contentment with life.
Essay Topic 2
Of note in the novel is the emphasis that the author places on the slow death of the agrarian society in America post World War II. Write an essay that summarizes how Berry showed that agrarian society was dying out and being replaced by modern society. Give examples from the novel that show how Berry could have possibility felt about the issue as he wrote the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Wendell Berry uses symbolism throughout The Memory of Old Jack. There is symbolism in the book title, in the chapter titles, and in the events that Jack remembers. Write an essay that focuses on three specific incidences of symbolism in the novel. Summarize the symbolism elements you have chosen to write about and explain what each element represents.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)