|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of transportation does Hannah use?
2. In Jack's memory of the mules, how old is Mat?
3. Why did Jack work tirelessly on the farm?
4. How did Jack meet his wife?
5. What does Hannah do while her children eat at their destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jack end up getting to know the person he noticed during church, and what was their future relationship?
2. What was Jack's relationship with Ben Feltner?
3. As the book opens, what does Jack remember about mules as he stands on the porch listening to Mat call the cows?
4. What is Jack's relationship with Nancy?
5. How does Ruth feel about Jack?
6. What was Jack like when he was younger?
7. What happened when Jack went into the room right after Ruth gave birth to their son?
8. Why did Jack confront McGrother?
9. How does Jack feel about his memories?
10. What is a horse breaker and what is Jack's experience with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the plot of the novel, focusing on the events occurring in the present as the author is writing. Then, summarize the plot of Jack's life using his recollections to guide you. Are the two of those plot summaries similar to one another? Do they parallel one another in any way?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares Clara with Ruth, her mother, and Jack, her father. How is she similar in personality to her parents and how is she different?
Essay Topic 3
Human beings all leave a legacy when they die, whether it is bad or good. Write an essay that describes the legacy Jack left. To whom was his legacy? Was it a lasting legacy? Was it a worthwhile legacy?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)