|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jack's reputation?
2. What are the names of Hannah Coulter's children?
3. How old is Mat Felter as he watches Jack staring wistfully on his porch?
4. What are Mat's feelings concerning Lightning Berlew?
5. What does Mat's wife, Margaret, suggest to Mat regarding Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the dinner at the Feltner's house, what is the memory that Jack has about?
2. How does Jack feel about his memories?
3. Why did Jack confront McGrother?
4. What was Jack's family's participation in the Civil War, and how did they feel about the issues surrounding it?
5. What happened to Jack's horses and wagon during the storm that occured while he was in town trying to buy flour?
6. What happens to Ruth and Jack's marriage after their daughter is born?
7. How does Ruth feel about Jack?
8. What was Jack's relationship with Ben Feltner?
9. What are the two different views of Andy's upcoming departure for college?
10. What happens when Jack is brought out of his memories and into the present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Jack's wishes for Bible readings at his funeral. Mat seems to know what kind of funeral service Jack would have wanted. Although Jack wanted a simple service, Mat mentioned that Jack would have wanted the Psalms from the Bible read during this funeral. Does this surprise you, considering the fact that Jack never really paid attention during church? Why would Jack have wanted a religious funeral when religion did not play a part of his life other than something he did on Sunday mornings? Was a religious service something that the Port Williams people just did because it was the culture at the time, or did Jack really believe in the religion?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares Clara with Ruth, her mother, and Jack, her father. How is she similar in personality to her parents and how is she different?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that analyzes Jack, the protagonist in the novel. First, summarize the basic facts about his life. Second, summarize the primary relationships he had in his life. Third, explain his moral flaws and his moral virtues.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)