|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ruth learned about Jack's new relationship with Rose, what was her reaction?
(a) She didn't care.
(b) Ruth was thrilled.
(c) Ruth was hurt.
(d) Ruth was happy because she knew that the new business arrangement would give them more money.
2. When friends and family begin to worry about Jack living on his own, where does Jack go?
(a) To Rose's old house.
(b) To Mat's house.
(c) To live in a hotel in town.
(d) To Louisville to live with Clara.
3. After Jack asks Andy questions, what happens?
(a) The two of them go into the house to have dessert.
(b) Andy starts asking Jack questions.
(c) The conversation comes to a lull.
(d) Andy leaves abruptly.
4. After a time, what happened between Rose and Jack?
(a) They went into business together.
(b) Jack stopped talking to her even though she wanted to keep speaking with him.
(c) They had to stop talking to one another so that they could remain faithful to their marriages.
(d) They began to have an affair.
5. Specifically, what do the people who gather to remember Jack recall about him?
(a) His looks.
(b) His clothes.
(c) His idiosyncrasies and sayings.
(d) His intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Glad Pettit's occupation?
2. What is the name of the tenant on Jack's farm?
3. How do the people who gather remember Jack?
4. What was unusual about Jack's memory of Rose McInnis even though he only saw her briefly?
5. Once Mat determines that Jack is dead, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of funeral does Mat know Jack wanted to have?
2. What significant event occurred in Jack's life after Rose's death?
3. What happened between Jack and Rose following Jack's decision that he made after the accident on the flooded road?
4. What was Ruth's reaction when she discovered her husband's infidelities?
5. What happens to Jack after he has to rent out the farm?
6. What does Andy begin thinking about as his conversation with Jack comes to a lull?
7. What happened after Jack found Ruth struggling to breathe?
8. After the dinner at Mat Feltner's house, what does Jack do?
9. Why does Wheeler go to Jack's farm?
10. What was Clara's life like after college?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)