|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack do after their daughter is born?
(a) He ignores Ruth's wishes and continues to sleep with her.
(b) He buys more land.
(c) He completely moves out of the house.
(d) He begins sleeping in a separate room of the house.
2. What was Ruth's character like?
(a) Pessimistic and despondent.
(d) Conservative and proper.
3. What does Mat's wife, Margaret, suggest to Mat regarding Jack?
(a) Jack should move in with them.
(b) His daughter should move in with Jack.
(c) Mat and Margaret should move in with Jack.
(d) Jack should move in with his daughter.
4. What would Jack do after his time off?
(a) Go back to work again right away.
(b) Take produce to the market.
(c) Buy supplies for the week in town.
(d) Go to church.
5. What makes some people skeptical about Andy's future plans?
(a) They think that going to the city will make him lose his common sense.
(b) They don't think he should abandon his parents.
(c) They think that he has a responsibility to stay and tend to the land.
(d) They think college is a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mat describe his relationship with Jack?
2. What happened prior to Jack's marriage to his wife?
3. What happens right before Jack decides to leave the store?
4. What is the reason for Mat's feelings toward Lightning Berlew?
5. How does Jack feel about all of the reminiscing that he does?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack remember about being twenty-eight years old and being in charge of his family farm?
2. What was Jack like when he was younger?
3. What was Jack's family's participation in the Civil War, and how did they feel about the issues surrounding it?
4. What was the relationship like between Jack and Will Wells?
5. How did Jack end up getting to know the person he noticed during church, and what was their future relationship?
6. How does Jack feel about his memories?
7. What happens to Ruth and Jack's marriage after their daughter is born?
8. What happens when Jack is brought out of his memories and into the present?
9. What part of Jack's memory at the beginning of the novel involves Mat?
10. How does Mat feel about Lightning and Smoothbore Berlew?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)