|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jack's family feel about the Civil War?
(a) They believed strongly in the institution of slavery.
(b) They were vehemently opposed to slavery.
(c) They had little stake in keeping slavery around, but fought to defend the South from the North.
(d) They wanted the South to win because they needed slaves to work their land.
2. What did Jack do to escape his domestic misery?
(a) Threw himself into his work.
(b) Talked to his friends about how miserable he was.
(c) Talked to his wife to try to work things out.
(d) Sold his land piece by piece to anyone who would buy it.
3. What did Jack do during his time off?
(a) Listen to the radio.
(b) Go to a dance or social gathering.
4. When Hannah transports her children, who greets them at their destination?
5. Why does Hannah Coulter consider her family's life a work in progress?
(a) Their plans come to fruition as time and money allow.
(b) She keeps having babies.
(c) They keep having setbacks.
(d) They don't have enough workers to help them keep up with the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the place adjacent Jack's farm?
2. About how many years ago did the events of the memory occur?
3. After Will leaves, who does Jack hire?
4. After Jack returned home following his overhearing McGrother laughing about him, what does he find?
5. Who visited Jack the day after he brought the mules home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jack's relationship with Ben Feltner?
2. Who is Hannah Coultner and what is her relationship to the Feltner family?
3. What is a horse breaker and what is Jack's experience with it?
4. What are the two different views of Andy's upcoming departure for college?
5. What happens to Ruth and Jack's marriage after their daughter is born?
6. What is Jack's relationship with Nancy?
7. What is Jack's relationship with Hannah Coultner like?
8. What was the relationship like between Jack and Will Wells?
9. What happened between Jack and Will that caused Will to leave?
10. What happens when Jack is brought out of his memories and into the present?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)