|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the very start of the novel, to what is Jack listening?
(a) His wife singning.
(b) His daughter cooking.
(c) Mat calling to his cows.
(d) Mat yelling at his son.
2. What was the name of the place adjacent Jack's farm?
(a) Port Williams Place.
(b) Farrier Place.
(c) Hargrave Place.
(d) Louisville Place.
3. What ended up drawing Ruth and Jack closer to one another?
(a) He started drawing up new plans to expand the farm.
(b) They had another baby.
(c) Mat helped them to talk with one another about their problems.
(d) The minister at the church helped them to talk through their problems.
4. What did Jack do to escape his domestic misery?
(a) Sold his land piece by piece to anyone who would buy it.
(b) Talked to his wife to try to work things out.
(c) Threw himself into his work.
(d) Talked to his friends about how miserable he was.
5. What is a horse breaker?
(a) Someone who teaches people to saddle horses.
(b) A person who trains a horse and makes it fit for whatever kind of work it is supposed to do.
(c) A rancher who can separate a large group of wild horses.
(d) A veterinary specialist who kills horses that are dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Andy's plans?
2. How is the meal prepared at the destination of Hannah and her children?
3. What was Ruth's character like?
4. How old is Mat Felter as he watches Jack staring wistfully on his porch?
5. What is the reason for Mat's feelings toward Lightning Berlew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mat feel about Lightning and Smoothbore Berlew?
2. What was the relationship like between Jack and Will Wells?
3. What does Jack remember about being twenty-eight years old and being in charge of his family farm?
4. What happens to Ruth and Jack's marriage after their daughter is born?
5. How does Jack feel about his memories?
6. What happens when Jack is brought out of his memories and into the present?
7. What happened between Jack and Will that caused Will to leave?
8. What happened when Jack went into the room right after Ruth gave birth to their son?
9. What are the two different views of Andy's upcoming departure for college?
10. How would you best describe Jack's marriage?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)