|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 9, why does Jack sit down once he reaches his destination?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He needs to be able to look his daughter straight in the eye.
(c) He is worn out.
(d) Mat tells him to sit down.
2. What was Glad Pettit's occupation?
3. What made Clara not feel at home in Port William any more?
(a) Her parents died and the house she grew up in sold.
(b) She went to college.
(c) New people who moved into Port William changed it drastically.
(d) The war changed her view of Port William.
4. Why does Mat have an unusual amount of energy on the day people come to pay their respects to Jack?
(a) He did not work that day.
(b) He was angry about the coffin.
(c) He drank too much coffee.
(d) He had eaten more than the usual amount of food.
5. What did Mat ask to have read during the funeral?
(b) A eulogy.
6. What does the preacher do during Jack's service?
(a) He gives a lengthy concluding prayer.
(b) Prays the rosary.
(c) Talks about Jack and his accomplishments.
7. After Jack's lawyer gives the tenant the news, where does he go?
(a) Into the shed.
(b) Into the fields.
(c) Into the house.
(d) Into the barn.
8. As Andy gets ready to leave, what does Margaret Feltner say to him?
(a) She tells him to forget everthing he has learned in Port William and to start over.
(b) Find a good wife.
(c) She tells him not to forget what he has learned in Port William.
(d) Study hard.
9. What does Mat realize the Pettit's want?
(a) To get a divorce.
(b) To get out of the state altogether.
(c) To live a simple life.
(d) To amass wealth for as little effort as possible.
10. What did Jack realize when he told Glad of his plans for the future?
(a) Glad had already found a way to take over the farm.
(b) Glad was an inept farmer.
(c) Clara wanted to stay and run the business.
(d) Glad and Clara would never live in Port William.
11. How did Jack's feelings toward Rose change after the accident?
(a) He felt like they could be friends even though he was still married.
(b) He felt it was time to stop gossiping about her.
(c) He decided to stop silencing his urges toward her.
(d) He felt it was time to become her friend instead of just doing business with her.
12. When Mat finds that Jack is dead, what is his reaction?
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) Grief and relief.
13. When does the accident occur that changes Jack's feelings about Rose?
(a) During a hurricane.
(b) During a snowstorm.
(c) During a tornado.
(d) During a flood.
14. As Andy goes to say good-bye to Old Jack, in what state does Andy find Jack?
(a) On the floor, crying.
(b) As usual, lost in thought.
(c) Laughing hysterically at a memory.
(d) Clutching his chest.
15. What were Jack's wishes for burial?
(a) A coffin that is as simple as possible.
(c) To be buried next to Rose.
(d) An elaborate coffin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jack when Ruth suffered her heart attack?
2. How does Andy characterize the woods and streams in Port William?
3. After a time, what happened between Rose and Jack?
4. What is significant about Rose McInnis?
5. Who is Clara?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)