|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people who gather remember Jack?
(c) With contempt.
2. As Andy gets ready to leave, what does Margaret Feltner say to him?
(a) She tells him to forget everthing he has learned in Port William and to start over.
(b) She tells him not to forget what he has learned in Port William.
(c) Find a good wife.
(d) Study hard.
3. How is Rose living during the second period of time in which Jack encounters her?
(a) In filth.
(b) With friends.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 9, where does Jack go?
(a) To his daughter's house.
(b) Up to his room.
(c) To Rose's old house.
(d) To Mat's house.
5. When friends and family begin to worry about Jack living on his own, where does Jack go?
(a) To live in a hotel in town.
(b) To Mat's house.
(c) To Louisville to live with Clara.
(d) To Rose's old house.
6. What was the reason for the relationship that Jack and Glad had with one another?
(a) Glad visited Jack constantly and asked for advice.
(b) Jack knew that Glad had no interest in Jack's way of life.
(c) Glad was friendly with everyone.
(d) Jack was happy to share farming information with Glad.
7. Where is the coffin set up?
(a) On Jack's farm.
(b) In Rose's old house.
(c) In the Feltner's house.
(d) At the church.
8. What does the unusual amount of energy cause Mat to do?
(a) Build a shed.
(b) Drive all night long to be with Clara.
(c) Construct a monument in Jack's honor.
(d) Stay up all night thinking about Jack.
9. How did Ruth feel about the mortgage being paid off?
(a) She didn't know that he paid it off.
10. Why is Mat annoyed on the day of the funeral?
(a) The preacher doesn't do the simple service that was requested.
(b) Andy comes home to tell everyone about college.
(c) His wife is working on her car during the service.
(d) Clara talks for too long.
11. After Jack asks Andy questions, what happens?
(a) The conversation comes to a lull.
(b) Andy starts asking Jack questions.
(c) The two of them go into the house to have dessert.
(d) Andy leaves abruptly.
12. How did the townspeople find out about the change in relationship between Jack and Rose?
(a) Jack's wife told everyone about their new relationship.
(b) Their new business was announced in the paper.
(c) Mat walked around and told the entire town.
(d) They made little attempt to conceal the relationship.
13. Who is Glad Pettit?
(a) Clara's husband.
(b) Ruth's brother.
(c) Jack's son with Rose.
(d) Jack's cousin.
14. What is the name of the tenant on Jack's farm?
15. What does Jack's lawyer see as he lingers at Jacks place?
(a) Clara coming down the road.
(b) Unmistakeable signs of Jack.
(c) A tornado coming.
(d) Crops that are dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Andy getting ready to go?
2. As Jack encounters Rose the second time, what is the town's attitude towards her?
3. When Ruth learned about Jack's new relationship with Rose, what was her reaction?
4. Once Mat determines that Jack is dead, what does he do?
5. Specifically, what do the people who gather to remember Jack recall about him?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)