|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Mat determines that Jack is dead, what does he do?
(a) He falls into is wife's arms in grief.
(b) He goes back to his own work, thinking about Jack.
(c) He tells everyone in town that Jack is dead.
(d) He prepares everything for Jack's burial.
2. What is significant about Rose McInnis?
(a) She was Jack's first girlfriend.
(b) She is Jack's cousin.
(c) She gave Jack his first job.
(d) She is the only woman who ever really loved Jack.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 9, where does Jack go?
(a) To Mat's house.
(b) To Rose's old house.
(c) Up to his room.
(d) To his daughter's house.
4. How did Ruth feel about the mortgage being paid off?
(c) She didn't know that he paid it off.
5. In what way did Jack sacrifice for Clara?
(a) He provided a college education for her.
(b) He gave up his marriage for her.
(c) He gave her the farm to run when he wanted to keep running it.
(d) He purchased a store in town for her to run.
6. How do the people who gather remember Jack?
(a) With contempt.
7. How was Ben killed?
(a) Shot by one of his friends.
(b) He was killed during the war.
(c) Trampled by horses.
(d) Stabbed by a stranger.
8. What is the reason for the town's attitude toward Rose as Jack encounters her the second time?
(a) She is strange.
(b) She has done such good for the town.
(c) She has been wronged for so long.
(d) She has been so mean and ran her husband into the arms of another woman.
9. Why doesn't Jack recognize Andy?
(a) Because of old age and senility.
(b) Andy's face is disfigured from the fire.
(c) He doesn't know Andy.
(d) He has gone blind.
10. When Mat finds that Jack is dead, what is his reaction?
(b) Grief and relief.
(c) He is indifferent.
11. After Ruth's death, what did Jack worry about?
(a) How he could run the business that he had in town.
(b) How he would live alone.
(c) Who would cook his food.
(d) Who would run the farm.
12. What made Clara not feel at home in Port William any more?
(a) New people who moved into Port William changed it drastically.
(b) The war changed her view of Port William.
(c) She went to college.
(d) Her parents died and the house she grew up in sold.
13. After a time, what happened between Rose and Jack?
(a) They went into business together.
(b) They had to stop talking to one another so that they could remain faithful to their marriages.
(c) Jack stopped talking to her even though she wanted to keep speaking with him.
(d) They began to have an affair.
14. When friends and family begin to worry about Jack living on his own, where does Jack go?
(a) To Mat's house.
(b) To live in a hotel in town.
(c) To Rose's old house.
(d) To Louisville to live with Clara.
15. What does Jack's lawyer inform Jack's tenant when he arrives on the farm?
(a) That the farm is going to Clara.
(b) That Jack wanted the tenant to buy the farm at half price after his death.
(c) That the farm land is going to be donated to a developer in town.
(d) That the farm is going to be given to Mat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ruth go after her heart attack?
2. What became obvious to Jack regarding his relationship with Clara after Ruth's death?
3. What was the relationship between Jack and Glad?
4. As Jack encounters Rose the second time, what is the town's attitude towards her?
5. What does Mat realize the Pettit's want?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)