|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best description of Glad Pettit's financial status?
(a) Getting ready to file for bankruptcy.
(b) Quite wealthy.
(d) Middle class.
2. What does Mat realize the Pettit's want?
(a) To live a simple life.
(b) To amass wealth for as little effort as possible.
(c) To get a divorce.
(d) To get out of the state altogether.
3. When friends and family begin to worry about Jack living on his own, where does Jack go?
(a) To Rose's old house.
(b) To Mat's house.
(c) To Louisville to live with Clara.
(d) To live in a hotel in town.
4. What is the name of the tenant on Jack's farm?
5. What did Jack realize when he told Glad of his plans for the future?
(a) Glad had already found a way to take over the farm.
(b) Glad was an inept farmer.
(c) Glad and Clara would never live in Port William.
(d) Clara wanted to stay and run the business.
6. What is the reason for the town's attitude toward Rose as Jack encounters her the second time?
(a) She has been so mean and ran her husband into the arms of another woman.
(b) She has done such good for the town.
(c) She has been wronged for so long.
(d) She is strange.
7. In the Epilogue, in what month do the people gather on Jack's farm?
8. What does Jack's lawyer see as he lingers at Jacks place?
(a) A tornado coming.
(b) Clara coming down the road.
(c) Unmistakeable signs of Jack.
(d) Crops that are dying.
9. Why doesn't Jack recognize Andy?
(a) Andy's face is disfigured from the fire.
(b) He doesn't know Andy.
(c) He has gone blind.
(d) Because of old age and senility.
10. As Jack encounters Rose the second time, what is the town's attitude towards her?
(a) She is respected by everyone who comes into contact with her.
(b) The townspeople think she got what was coming to her.
(c) She is still the butt of jokes by the people in town.
(d) The townspeople feel very sorry for her.
11. How does Jack feel about television?
(a) It is an annoyance.
(b) He loves it.
(c) He never turns it off.
(d) He could take it or leave it.
12. Why has Jack's lawyer been away from the country?
(a) His mother was dying.
(b) He decided he liked the city better than the country.
(c) He has been working as a legal advocate.
(d) He was trying to open a business in town.
13. Specifically, what do the people who gather to remember Jack recall about him?
(a) His looks.
(b) His clothes.
(c) His idiosyncrasies and sayings.
(d) His intelligence.
14. How did the townspeople find out about the change in relationship between Jack and Rose?
(a) They made little attempt to conceal the relationship.
(b) Mat walked around and told the entire town.
(c) Their new business was announced in the paper.
(d) Jack's wife told everyone about their new relationship.
15. After Jack's lawyer gives the tenant the news, where does he go?
(a) Into the shed.
(b) Into the fields.
(c) Into the barn.
(d) Into the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jack's wishes for burial?
2. Who is Clara?
3. How did Ruth feel about the mortgage being paid off?
4. What was the relationship between Jack and Glad?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 9, where does Jack go?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)