|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ruth feel about Jack doing all of the dirty tasks around the farm?
(a) It made her proud.
(b) It disgusted her.
(c) She was ashamed because she couldn't help him.
(d) She wished that their son would help him.
2. How old is Mat Felter as he watches Jack staring wistfully on his porch?
3. When Hannah transports her children, who greets them at their destination?
4. What makes some people skeptical about Andy's future plans?
(a) They think college is a waste of time.
(b) They don't think he should abandon his parents.
(c) They think that he has a responsibility to stay and tend to the land.
(d) They think that going to the city will make him lose his common sense.
5. What does Jack sense as most of the people leave the dinner?
(a) The dread in the air.
(b) That he is going to die soon.
(c) His daughter is going to give him a lecture.
(d) It is going to rain.
6. What does Ruth tell Jack after their daughter is born?
(a) She wishes their daughter would have been stillborn as well.
(b) She will stay married to him, but she wants to go live with her sister.
(c) She is leaving him.
(d) She doesn't want any more children.
7. What does Jack do after the dinner in Chapter 5?
(a) He falls asleep at the table.
(b) He is taken home.
(c) He walks home.
(d) He helps do the dishes.
8. What does Jack remember about what occurred on the day after the mules arrived?
(a) Jack and Ben went for a ride into town.
(b) One of the mules died.
(c) Ben and Mat got in a fight.
(d) Jack, Ben, and Mat went for a ride in the countryside.
9. What happened to Hannah Coulter's first husband?
(a) Died of typhoid fever.
(b) Died during World War I.
(c) Died during World War II.
(d) Left her for another woman.
10. What is the best description of Jack's relationship with Will Wells?
(a) They hated one another.
(b) They had an instinctual knowledge of what one another was doing.
(c) They spoke a lot about their personal lives to one another.
(d) Will liked Jack, but Jack did not like Will.
11. What happens when Jack sees Mat in the store?
(a) Jack stops his conversation and gets up and hugs Mat.
(b) Jack introduces Mat to the man he is talking to.
(c) Jack joins in the conversation about farming.
(d) Jack does not immediately acknowledge that Mat has arrived.
12. What would Jack do after his time off?
(a) Go back to work again right away.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Take produce to the market.
(d) Buy supplies for the week in town.
13. After Mat extends his invitation to Jack, what does Jack do?
(a) Returns to his memories about his wife, Nancy.
(b) Leaves the store.
(c) Returns to his memories about his wife, Ruth.
(d) Returns to his conversation with the men.
14. Where does Hannah take her children?
(a) To Mat's house.
(b) To Will's house.
(c) To Jack's house.
(d) To Nancy's house.
15. In Jack's memory of the mules, how old is Mat?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack's wife doing after their son is born?
2. What happens right before Jack decides to leave the store?
3. What time of the week did Jack take off from working?
4. What physical gesture does Mat make toward Jack once in the store?
5. What role did Ben play in Jack's life?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)