|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When his memory at the beginning of the book is over, where does Jack go?
(a) Ben Felter's store.
(b) Jasper Lathrope's store.
(c) Inside his house.
(d) Nancy's house.
2. What does Hannah do while her children eat at their destination?
(a) Goes to find Jack.
(b) Talks to Mat.
(c) Helps to wash dishes.
(d) Complains about her husband to Margaret.
3. Why is Jack fond of Hannah?
(a) She is very intelligent.
(b) She has a good head for business.
(c) He sees something in her that he wishes he had in his life.
(d) He is attracted to her.
4. How old is Mat Felter as he watches Jack staring wistfully on his porch?
5. What happens when Jack sees Mat in the store?
(a) Jack joins in the conversation about farming.
(b) Jack introduces Mat to the man he is talking to.
(c) Jack stops his conversation and gets up and hugs Mat.
(d) Jack does not immediately acknowledge that Mat has arrived.
6. When Hannah transports her children, who greets them at their destination?
7. What are Mat's feelings concerning Lightning Berlew?
(a) Lightning Berlew is the only friend Mat has ever had.
(b) Mat doesn't like Lightning Berlew.
(c) Lightning Berlew is one of Mat's best friends.
(d) Mat considers Lightning Berlew a good business man but not a friend.
8. After Jack returned home following his overhearing McGrother laughing about him, what does he find?
(a) Mat waiting to talk some sense into him.
(b) His animals loose.
(c) His barn on fire.
(d) McGrother waiting to apologize.
9. About how many years ago did the events of the memory occur?
(a) 64 years ago.
(b) 1 year ago.
(c) 10 years ago.
(d) 5 years ago.
10. As Jack reflects following his time at the store, what does he think will haunt him for the rest of his life?
(a) A bad heart.
(b) An old girlfriend.
11. What was the climax of the frustration with Will?
(a) Jack shooting Will.
(b) A physical fight with Will punching Jack.
(c) Ruth breaking up the fight between Will and Jack.
(d) Mat breaking up the fight between Will and Jack.
12. What does Jack do after their daughter is born?
(a) He completely moves out of the house.
(b) He buys more land.
(c) He ignores Ruth's wishes and continues to sleep with her.
(d) He begins sleeping in a separate room of the house.
13. How old was jack when his mom died?
(a) A newborn.
14. What does Jack sense as most of the people leave the dinner?
(a) His daughter is going to give him a lecture.
(b) That he is going to die soon.
(c) The dread in the air.
(d) It is going to rain.
15. How does Mat describe his relationship with Jack?
(a) Jack and Mat have always been competitive with one another.
(b) Jack and Mat were inseperable for a time.
(c) Jack has always been there for Mat when he needed him.
(d) Jack has not been a good friend to Mat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Mat's feelings toward Lightning Berlew?
2. What are the names of Hannah Coulter's children?
3. What occurs at the end of Jack memory at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Jack feel about all of the reminiscing that he does?
5. After his time off from working, how would Jack feel?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)