|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for Jack's regret in the time following the stillborn birth of his son?
(a) He didn't spend more time with his other son.
(b) He made no attempt to console his wife after the death of the baby.
(c) They didn't try to have another child after the death.
(d) He wasn't there for the birth of the baby.
2. What was Ruth's character like?
(b) Pessimistic and despondent.
(d) Conservative and proper.
3. What happens after Will leaves?
(a) Jack determines to be a better man.
(b) The Farrier Place thrives and repeatedly turns over a profit.
(c) Will goes to work for a man who will really respect him.
(d) The Farrier Place falls into disuse, and Jack has to sell it.
4. When Hannah transports her children, who greets them at their destination?
5. About how many years ago did the events of the memory occur?
(a) 5 years ago.
(b) 10 years ago.
(c) 64 years ago.
(d) 1 year ago.
6. What does everyone talk about during the group dinner?
(a) How everyone has been and what everyone is doing.
(b) Hannah's marital woes.
(c) Jack's memories.
(d) The fight between Jack and Will.
7. What role did Nancy play in Jack's life?
(a) She acted as a substitute mother to him.
(b) She reminded him all of the things he did wrong with his life.
(c) She was his tutor since he couldn't attend school.
(d) She guided him in running the farm.
8. What happened to Hannah Coulter's first husband?
(a) Died of typhoid fever.
(b) Left her for another woman.
(c) Died during World War II.
(d) Died during World War I.
9. After Jack returned home following his overhearing McGrother laughing about him, what does he find?
(a) His barn on fire.
(b) His animals loose.
(c) McGrother waiting to apologize.
(d) Mat waiting to talk some sense into him.
10. What are Mat's feelings concerning Lightning Berlew?
(a) Mat considers Lightning Berlew a good business man but not a friend.
(b) Lightning Berlew is one of Mat's best friends.
(c) Lightning Berlew is the only friend Mat has ever had.
(d) Mat doesn't like Lightning Berlew.
11. Why is Jack fond of Hannah?
(a) He sees something in her that he wishes he had in his life.
(b) He is attracted to her.
(c) She has a good head for business.
(d) She is very intelligent.
12. What was the name of the place adjacent Jack's farm?
(a) Port Williams Place.
(b) Farrier Place.
(c) Louisville Place.
(d) Hargrave Place.
13. After his time off from working, how would Jack feel?
(a) Rested and relaxed.
(b) Anxious and regretful.
14. What happened prior to Jack's marriage to his wife?
(a) He had doubts about marrying her.
(b) They had a courtship.
(c) Jack's father died.
(d) Jack's mother died.
15. How does Mat describe his relationship with Jack?
(a) Jack has not been a good friend to Mat.
(b) Jack and Mat were inseperable for a time.
(c) Jack and Mat have always been competitive with one another.
(d) Jack has always been there for Mat when he needed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hannah Coulter consider her family's life a work in progress?
2. At the very start of the novel, to what is Jack listening?
3. How did Ruth feel about Jack doing all of the dirty tasks around the farm?
4. How did Jack's family feel about the Civil War?
5. When Mat goes to Lightning's house, what does he tell Lightning to do?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)