|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Ruth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the novel opens, where is Jack standing?
(a) In his living room.
(b) Next to his house.
(c) On his porch.
(d) In his bedroom.
2. Who visited Jack the day after he brought the mules home?
(a) Ben, Nancy and Mat Felter.
(b) Nancy and Mat Felter.
(c) Mat Felter.
(d) Ben Felter and Mat.
3. After Mat extends his invitation to Jack, what does Jack do?
(a) Leaves the store.
(b) Returns to his memories about his wife, Ruth.
(c) Returns to his conversation with the men.
(d) Returns to his memories about his wife, Nancy.
4. What was Jack's reputation?
(a) A grouchy, uncommunicative jerk.
(b) A man of excellent character.
(c) A reputation for immoral behavior.
(d) A cheerful, optimistic encourager.
5. What role did Nancy play in Jack's life?
(a) She reminded him all of the things he did wrong with his life.
(b) She acted as a substitute mother to him.
(c) She guided him in running the farm.
(d) She was his tutor since he couldn't attend school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jack meet his wife?
2. When his memory at the beginning of the book is over, where does Jack go?
3. How did Jack's family feel about the Civil War?
4. How does Mat describe his relationship with Jack?
5. What occurs at the end of Jack memory at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)