Chapter One, Light
1. As the novel opens, what is Jack's age?
(a) In his 30s.
(b) In his 40s.
(c) In his 90s.
(d) In his 20s.
2. When the novel opens, where is Jack standing?
(a) In his living room.
(b) On his porch.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) Next to his house.
3. At the very start of the novel, to what is Jack listening?
(a) Mat yelling at his son.
(b) His daughter cooking.
(c) Mat calling to his cows.
(d) His wife singning.
4. What reminds Jack about buying mules many years ago?
(a) Hearing mules bray.
(b) Seeing an old photograph.
(c) Hearing wagons move in the distance.
(d) Mat reminds him of the mules.
5. When did Jack buy his team of mules?
(a) Only five years ago.
(b) Long before he every had the family home.
(c) Just after he got married.
(d) Shortly after he took possession of his family's home.
6. How did Jack feel about the mules?
(a) He was ashamed of them.
(b) He didn't really need them.
(c) He was proud of them.
(d) He felt like they were a burden.
This section contains 5,714 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)