|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Norah hire on at her business?
2. Where does Norah plan to live after she re-marries?
3. What surprises Caroline about David when she sees him again?
4. What does Paul see that Phoebe physically inherited from their mother?
5. How does Paul feel when David brings Rosemary home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David think about while he looks through the pictures Caroline left him?
2. What happens when Paul takes Phoebe to visit David's grave?
3. What does Norah tell Paul she understands now that she knows about Phoebe?
4. What scares Caroline enough for her to file a police report?
5. What does Norah realize while they all drive back after picking up Paul from prison?
6. How does Norah feel when she sits by the river with Frederick?
7. What does Paul tell David he wants to do, and what is David's response to this?
8. What does Paul say that makes Norah slap him?
9. What do Norah and Paul talk about when Paul learns that his father has died?
10. What happens when Paul wakes up after making a huge mess in the darkroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Music was something that was incredibly important to Paul. Why was this so important to him, and how did this shape his character and guide his actions in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot, especially as Norah deals with the death of her daughter. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)