|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul know will happen when Michelle's career takes off?
2. How does David know about Norah's affair with Howard?
3. What is the first thing Paul notices about Phoebe when he meets her?
4. What does Michelle do when Paul tells her about his sister?
5. What does Paul do at his friend's house when the adults are gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scares Caroline enough for her to file a police report?
2. What does Paul say that makes Norah slap him?
3. What does Paul realize about himself while he talks to Phoebe in her room?
4. How does Norah feel when she sits by the river with Frederick?
5. What happens when Paul takes Phoebe to visit David's grave?
6. What does David think about while he looks through the pictures Caroline left him?
7. What does Paul tell David he wants to do, and what is David's response to this?
8. What does Al decide after his accident at work, and how does Caroline respond to this?
9. How does Caroline feel as she walks home from the museum?
10. What does David do when he goes to visit Norah at her house after Rosemary leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in this book, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
David's past largely affected the course of David's life. What experiences from his past had this influence, and how did these influences change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)