|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Norah doing when Paul goes to his old house?
2. Why does David leave his medical practice?
3. Where do Paul and his friend play dangerous games?
4. What instrument does Paul play?
5. What instrument does Paul's girlfriend play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caroline feel as she walks home from the museum?
2. What do Norah and Paul talk about when Paul learns that his father has died?
3. How did David die, and how does Paul feel when he hears the news?
4. What has Phoebe had to learn not to do when in public?
5. What does David say to Rosemary when he awakens, tied up in his old house?
6. What does Norah do with David's photos after hearing the truth about Phoebe?
7. What does Al decide after his accident at work, and how does Caroline respond to this?
8. What happens when Paul wakes up after making a huge mess in the darkroom?
9. What does Caroline say she felt like while she raised Phoebe?
10. What does David do when he goes to visit Norah at her house after Rosemary leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Al is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)