|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paul choose to go when he runs away?
2. Who tells Norah the truth about Phoebe?
3. How long has David been dead when Caroline finds out about her secret bank account from him?
4. What is the name of Norah's new lover?
5. What does Caroline have to explain to Phoebe when she finds her alone with a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paul takes Phoebe to visit David's grave?
2. How did David die, and how does Paul feel when he hears the news?
3. What does Caroline say she felt like while she raised Phoebe?
4. What does Paul say that makes Norah slap him?
5. How does Caroline feel as she walks home from the museum?
6. What has Phoebe had to learn not to do when in public?
7. What did David say he did after Phoebe's memorial?
8. What does Phebe say about weddings while at Norah's wedding?
9. How does Norah feel when she sits by the river with Frederick?
10. What does Paul realize about himself while he talks to Phoebe in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Kim Edwards in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this book, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)