|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the "Captive Mind' published?
2. When was the song "Love Me DO" released?
3. What years did the French Revolution take place?
4. Whose authority did Judt reject?
5. What did Poliakoff build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was trendy in "Part Two: Revolutionaries"?
2. What cities do not spring to mind when one considers a "world city" in "Part Three: New York, New York"?
3. What did Judt spend hours listening to?
4. What does Judt remember about all his family vacations?
5. What conflict does Judt explore in the essay?
6. What was Judt surrounded by as a child in "Part Two: Words"?
7. What did Judt do during his midlife crisis in "Midlife Crisis"?
8. Who was Jan Kavan and why did Judt meet with him?
9. Why is it considered un-trendy to love Switzerland in "Part Three: Magic Mountains"?
10. What did Judt note was perhaps the most valuable aspect of his education at King's College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and practice of domestic servitude in Britain and the role of "bedders."
Essay Topic 2
Choose a French intellectual and discuss their influence on French society.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Judt's diagnosis of ALS and how his memories helped him cope with his paralysis.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)