Preface, The Memory Chalet, Night
• In the "Preface" Tony Judt explains the collection of essays were not intended for publication.
• Judt wrote his thoughts at the prodding of his agents who wanted to publish them.
• Judt was hesitant because the essays were not written with an internal editor.
• Judt listened and published the work "The Memory Chalet."
• In "The Memory Chalet" Judt discusses his vacations in Switzerland at a skiing resort.
• Judt had fond memories of his time there.
• Judt discusses the fond memories, like meeting celebrities of the time.
• Judt recalls intimate details of the chalet and describes each room in detail.
• The memory of the chalet allows him to cope with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
• In "Night" Judt describes what it is like to battle ALS and the painful imprisonment of the disease as you become paralyzed and digestion and breathing becomes difficult.
• Judt was able...
This section contains 2,338 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)