|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ambassador of Median offer up in exchange for a friendly relationship with Egypt?
2. What does Antony want Cleopatra to bring when they meet in #118?
3. What gift does Cleopatra bring for Caesarion from her travels?
4. Marc Antony tells Cleopatra that Caesar left her out of his will because ______________________.
5. What does Octavian do when he learns that Caesarion is in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antony ultimately pleasantly surprise Cleopatra when she thought he was returning to Octavia?
2. What does Cleopatra name the son she has with Marc Antony?
3. What is another reason that Marc Antony has requested Cleopatra's presence in Rome?
4. Why is Cleopatra particularly disappointed in the contents of Caesar's will?
5. What are Cleopatra's expectations of Marc Antony once they have initiated an intimate relationship?
6. What is Cleopatra's personal agony on the night before Antony departs for battle at Parthia?
7. How does Cleopatra respond to Antony's rejection of their getting married?
8. What insensitive stance does Antony make regarding his children with Cleopatra that makes her decide to remain a single parent and ruler?
9. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing when telling about the wise, old man who is bitten by an asp and dies?
10. What are the events that lead up to the marriage of Antony and Cleopatra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Margaret George is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Olympos. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Olympos' character in the novel?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)