|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cleopatra initially decide about a relationship with Marc Antony?
2. Marc Antony tells Cleopatra that Caesar left her out of his will because ______________________.
3. What is Cleopatra's overall personality?
4. What is Antony's first question to Cleopatra when he sees her?
5. Who had Caesar claimed as his son in his will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the events that lead up to the marriage of Antony and Cleopatra?
2. Why does Cleopatra take offense to something Mardian says regarding Cleopatra's need to re-marry?
3. How does Antony ultimately pleasantly surprise Cleopatra when she thought he was returning to Octavia?
4. How does Cleopatra try to give the illusion of control while funding Antony's military campaigns?
5. What is the nature of Cleopatra's visit with Herod in Jerusalem?
6. What are Cleopatra's expectations of Marc Antony once they have initiated an intimate relationship?
7. What is another reason that Marc Antony has requested Cleopatra's presence in Rome?
8. What is the tradition of marriage in Cleopatra's family?
9. How is Antony's power diminished due to his desire to divorce Octavia and be with Cleopatra?
10. What is one reason that Marc Antony wants Cleopatra to come to Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cleopatra was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Cleopatra's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the story. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)