|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Caesar tell Cleopatra that he has?
2. Whose home does Cleopatra visit during the festival?
3. What is the nickname of Cleopatra's son?
4. How is Caesar killed?
5. After she arrives in Rome, how does Cleopatra feel about making the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antony ultimately pleasantly surprise Cleopatra when she thought he was returning to Octavia?
2. Which of Cleopatra's family members are in control when her father is in exile?
3. What logic does Cleopatra use to try to convince Antony to divorce Octavia?
4. What is the tradition of marriage in Cleopatra's family?
5. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
6. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
7. Under what circumstances does Cleopatra meet Julius Caesar?
8. What are the events that lead up to the marriage of Antony and Cleopatra?
9. Why does Cleopatra have second thoughts about her visit to Rome?
10. What details does the author reveal about Caesar's death?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall settings for the story. Why does the author use the settings she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,767 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)