|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What island does Caesar return to be ruled by Egypt?
2. What does Cleopatra not enjoy about being in Rome?
3. As a child, Cleopatra is taken to the throne of ______________ and told that she is her daughter.
4. After she arrives in Rome, how does Cleopatra feel about making the trip?
5. Cleopatra has to travel to _____________ to discredit a man claiming to be the elder Ptolemy.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cleopatra feel so vulnerable regarding her personal relationship with Caesar?
2. What was it about Caesar's character that Cleopatra capitalized on in order to entice him?
3. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
4. What is the nature of Caesar's will regarding his heir?
5. What complicates Cleopatra's extended stay in Rome when Caesar leaves for a military campaign in Spain?
6. Which of Cleopatra's family members are in control when her father is in exile?
7. How is Berenice executed and what involvement does the family have?
8. What is Cleopatra's relationship with the Younger Ptolemy and how can his pleasant demeanor be explained?
9. What political complications does Cleopatra encounter being pregnant with Caesar's child?
10. What does Cleopatra name her new son and how does her husband, Ptolemy accept him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of Cleopatra's, Caesar's and Antony's ambitions? Was she consumed with winning and getting ahead? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Cleopatra. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)