|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Cleopatra have for Caesar?
2. What do Cleopatra and Caesarion see for the first time in Rome?
3. What does Cleopatra give Caesar at their first formal meeting in Rome?
4. Cleopatra's husband, Ptolemy, is more like a/an _____________ than a husband.
5. What promise does Caesar make to Cleopatra?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what illness is Caesar afflicted?
2. Who are Cleopatra's siblings?
3. What details does the author reveal about Caesar's death?
4. What is Cleopatra's relationship with the Younger Ptolemy and how can his pleasant demeanor be explained?
5. What is the nature of Caesar and Cleopatra's public meetings, and what does Cleopatra find particularly interesting about the city?
6. How does Cleopatra trick Caesar into a marriage ceremony at Philae?
7. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
8. Why does Cleopatra hire Epaphroditus?
9. What traumatic event in Cleopatra's life begins the novel?
10. What is Caesar's reaction to seeing his son for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cleopatra was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Cleopatra's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Margaret George is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)