|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cleopatra choose to oversee her wardrobe?
2. What island does Caesar return to be ruled by Egypt?
3. What is the nature of the festival that Cleopatra attends?
4. As a child, Cleopatra is taken to the throne of ______________ and told that she is her daughter.
5. What is Cleopatra remembering as the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleopatra trick Caesar into a marriage ceremony at Philae?
2. How does Caesar's wife, Calpurnia, deal with Caesar's extramarital indiscretions?
3. With what illness is Caesar afflicted?
4. Why does Cleopatra have second thoughts about her visit to Rome?
5. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
6. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
7. What traumatic event in Cleopatra's life begins the novel?
8. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
9. Who are Cleopatra's siblings?
10. Why does Cleopatra dislike the public displays and entertainment at a particular celebration honoring Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margaret George is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Cleopatra was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Cleopatra's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)