|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Cleopatra ships as she sails to Rome?
2. There is an uprising with Arisonoe and ______________ at its heart.
3. What is Cleopatra's physical condition when she sails for Egypt?
4. Cleopatra learns that her sister, _______________, is being held in the Tullianum Prison.
5. Why does Cleopatra feel vulnerable where Caesar is concerned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
2. What is Caesar's reaction to seeing his son for the first time?
3. Why does Cleopatra dislike the public displays and entertainment at a particular celebration honoring Caesar?
4. What is the nature of Caesar's will regarding his heir?
5. How is Berenice executed and what involvement does the family have?
6. Why does Cleopatra feel so vulnerable regarding her personal relationship with Caesar?
7. Under what circumstances does Cleopatra meet Julius Caesar?
8. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
9. Why does Cleopatra have second thoughts about her visit to Rome?
10. How does Cleopatra manipulate Caesar into publicly acknowledging Caesarion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Does the author end the book on a note of hope for Antony and Cleopatra's children or the continuance of their struggle to come to terms with the nature and origins of royal roles? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)