|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the festival that Cleopatra attends?
2. How does Cleopatra gain entry into Caesar's room?
3. Where is Caesar murdered?
4. How is Cleopatra received by the people of Rome?
5. What disease is it determined that Ptolemy has after he is examined in Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caesar's wife, Calpurnia, deal with Caesar's extramarital indiscretions?
2. What traumatic event in Cleopatra's life begins the novel?
3. Why does Cleopatra dislike the public displays and entertainment at a particular celebration honoring Caesar?
4. What logic does Cleopatra use to try to convince Antony to divorce Octavia?
5. What are Cleopatra's scrolls and why does she entrust them to Olympos?
6. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
7. How is Berenice executed and what involvement does the family have?
8. What is Caesar's reaction to seeing his son for the first time?
9. Why is Cleopatra particularly disappointed in the contents of Caesar's will?
10. What is the rumor about a law regarding Caesar's marital status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Olympos. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Olympos' character in the novel?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)