|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caesar say he will not divorce Calpurnia?
2. What is the nature of the festival that Cleopatra attends?
3. What is Cleopatra's opinion of Caesar's wife?
4. Who accompanies Cleopatra to retrieve Caesar's body?
5. What does Cleopatra not enjoy about being in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Cleopatra's family members are in control when her father is in exile?
2. What is Cleopatra's relationship with the Younger Ptolemy and how can his pleasant demeanor be explained?
3. How does Cleopatra manipulate Caesar into publicly acknowledging Caesarion?
4. What is Caesar's reaction to seeing his son for the first time?
5. Why does Caesar not plan to divorce Calpurnia?
6. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
7. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
8. What details does the author reveal about Caesar's death?
9. How does Caesar's wife, Calpurnia, deal with Caesar's extramarital indiscretions?
10. Describe some of Cleopatra's childhood activities and what does she think will bring an end to her youthful fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
What if Cleopatra had lived? What would Cleopatra have done if she had lived longer than her 39 years? Would she have been overthrown and exiled? Would she have been assassinated at some point? How would she have guided the lives of her children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Margaret George is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)