|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cleopatra's opinion of Caesar's wife?
2. What is Cleopatra's physical condition when she sails for Egypt?
3. Cleopatra has to travel to _____________ to discredit a man claiming to be the elder Ptolemy.
4. Who is named as Caesar's heir in his will?
5. What does Cleopatra give Caesar at their first formal meeting in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cleopatra dislike the public displays and entertainment at a particular celebration honoring Caesar?
2. How does Cleopatra trick Caesar into a marriage ceremony at Philae?
3. What is the rumor about a law regarding Caesar's marital status?
4. Why is Cleopatra especially concerned that Caesar is considering more military campaigns into the Parthians and India?
5. What is Cleopatra's relationship with the Younger Ptolemy and how can his pleasant demeanor be explained?
6. What is the nature of Caesar's will regarding his heir?
7. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
8. Who are Cleopatra's siblings?
9. What traumatic event in Cleopatra's life begins the novel?
10. What is the nature of Caesar and Cleopatra's public meetings, and what does Cleopatra find particularly interesting about the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
What if Cleopatra had lived? What would Cleopatra have done if she had lived longer than her 39 years? Would she have been overthrown and exiled? Would she have been assassinated at some point? How would she have guided the lives of her children? Explain.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)