|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caesar arrive in Alexandria?
2. How does the elder Ptolemy die?
3. Cleopatra's sisters, Cleopatra and ______________ take control of the throne when their father is exiled.
4. After she arrives in Rome, how does Cleopatra feel about making the trip?
5. There is an uprising with Arisonoe and ______________ at its heart.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
2. Why does Cleopatra dislike the public displays and entertainment at a particular celebration honoring Caesar?
3. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
4. What traumatic event in Cleopatra's life begins the novel?
5. With what illness is Caesar afflicted?
6. Under what circumstances does Cleopatra meet Julius Caesar?
7. How does Cleopatra manipulate Caesar into publicly acknowledging Caesarion?
8. What details does the author reveal about Caesar's death?
9. Why does Cleopatra become fast friends with Olympos and Mardian?
10. Who are Cleopatra's siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Olympos. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Olympos' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)