|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is an uprising with Arisonoe and ______________ at its heart.
2. What do Cleopatra's men do with the two pirates they capture?
3. Why does Cleopatra decide to leave Caesar's celebration?
4. Why does Cleopatra feel vulnerable where Caesar is concerned?
5. Whose home does Cleopatra visit during the festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Berenice executed and what involvement does the family have?
2. Why does Cleopatra hire Epaphroditus?
3. What is Cleopatra's relationship with the Younger Ptolemy and how can his pleasant demeanor be explained?
4. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
5. Why is Cleopatra especially concerned that Caesar is considering more military campaigns into the Parthians and India?
6. What is the nature of Caesar's will regarding his heir?
7. What is Caesar's reaction to seeing his son for the first time?
8. How does Cleopatra manipulate Caesar into publicly acknowledging Caesarion?
9. Why does Cleopatra have second thoughts about her visit to Rome?
10. With what illness is Caesar afflicted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
What if Cleopatra had lived? What would Cleopatra have done if she had lived longer than her 39 years? Would she have been overthrown and exiled? Would she have been assassinated at some point? How would she have guided the lives of her children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Margaret George's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)