|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Cleopatra realize that she could be forced to marry and bear children?
2. What Egyptian words do Caesar and Cleopatra speak in front of a priest at Philae?
3. What does Caesar promise Cleopatra when he returns from battle?
4. Why does Cleopatra decide to leave Caesar's celebration?
5. Why does Caesar arrive in Alexandria?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of Cleopatra's childhood activities and what does she think will bring an end to her youthful fun?
2. What political complications does Cleopatra encounter being pregnant with Caesar's child?
3. What is the nature of Caesar and Cleopatra's public meetings, and what does Cleopatra find particularly interesting about the city?
4. How is Berenice executed and what involvement does the family have?
5. What are Cleopatra's thoughts regarding a Messiah based on talks with Epaphroditus?
6. What is the nature of Caesar's will regarding his heir?
7. Who are Cleopatra's siblings?
8. What is the underlying political situation between two powers throughout Cleopatra's life and what is Egypt's position?
9. Why does Cleopatra have second thoughts about her visit to Rome?
10. Under what circumstances does Cleopatra meet Julius Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What if Cleopatra had lived? What would Cleopatra have done if she had lived longer than her 39 years? Would she have been overthrown and exiled? Would she have been assassinated at some point? How would she have guided the lives of her children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Does the author end the book on a note of hope for Antony and Cleopatra's children or the continuance of their struggle to come to terms with the nature and origins of royal roles? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)