|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is West Branch located, where the CDC was called in order to deal with an outbreak?
2. What is NOT one of the treatments that Natalie pursued in order to help her with her depression?
3. What organ becomes inflamed when a person is infected with hepatitis, according to the book?
4. Mr. Huckleby began to feed his animals a mixture of _________ and discarded seed grain from a local supplier.
5. What is NOT one of the symptoms Betty experienced when she was first ill and nothing was found to be wrong with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Betty's husband experiencing any of the symptoms that she was?
2. Why didn't the man who hand kneaded the dough cause any infection to spread when the bread was baked?
3. What was the problem with the season being winter when it came to finding out the diagnosis for the sick children?
4. What did Natalie find out when she woke up in a hospital and didn't know who she was?
5. What is the problem for patients who are suffering from Wilson's disease, according to the book?
6. What was odd about Richard's case of hyperthyroidism, which baffled doctors?
7. What did investigators find to be unusual about the feed in the storage bin?
8. What did Dean decide to do when he was experiencing cold hands during a card game?
9. What happened to Sandy that began to cause the officials at the school to suspect something was wrong at the building?
10. Why was the meat the cause of the thyroid issues in Richard and in others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food poisoning seems to be a common thread in this book, leading to many instances in which the illness is a mystery to doctors.
Part 1: Why do you think food poisoning is something that continues to happen in today's world?
Part 2: How do you think a person might be able to prevent food poisoning all of the time?
Part 3: Do you think that the health department is to blame for food poisoning?
Essay Topic 2
Food workers who don't take safety precautions can begin to cause troubles, like in the spread of hepatitis in the bakery.
Part 1: Why do you think some food workers don't follow safety rules?
Part 2: Do you think you would eat at a restaurant if you knew they weren't following safety rules?
Part 3: How do you think managers can ensure their workers are following safety precautions?
Essay Topic 3
Vernon Berry was the victim of several worms as a result of swimming in the Nile River.
Part 1: Do you think that tourists should be warned about the possibility of worms?
Part 2: How do you think you might have responded to the diagnosis of worms in your body?
Part 3: Why do you think a person might decide to swim in a foreign body of water which might be contaminated?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)