|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Sara continued the treatments for her rash?
2. ________ disease is an inherited condition that changes the way the body metabolizes _________, which causes the mental symptoms.
3. What was the diagnosis that was given to Dean when he went into the hospital for his blue hands?
4. What was the suspected cause of the infant's symptoms in July 1965?
5. What is NOT one of the treatments that Natalie pursued in order to help her with her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Natalie decide to seek out orthodontic treatment for her teeth in 1972?
2. What was the problem with the season being winter when it came to finding out the diagnosis for the sick children?
3. What does the book point out is the treatment for Wilson's disease, helping the patient recover nearly immediately?
4. What was the problem the investigators found during their hunt for answers about the infected babies?
5. What were the initial symptoms that Betty Page experienced, leading her to seek out medical treatment?
6. What did Natalie find out when she woke up in a hospital and didn't know who she was?
7. Which individuals are more likely to have hypogeusia, according to the specialist in this section?
8. What does the chapter say seems to be a primary cause of sensitization of patients to metals?
9. How is infectious hepatitis usually passed from one person to another, according to the book?
10. What was determined to be the cause of the illness that was later found to be tularemia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natalie Parker had a bad experience with her dentist, leading to a depression, which led her into a mental health hospital and electroshock treatments.
Part 1: How do you think a doctor might treat depression today?
Part 2: Do you think that electroshock therapy is the best way to help a patient who is suffering from depression?
Part 3: What do you think you would have done if you learned you had had electroshock therapy?
Essay Topic 2
J.C. Penney refused to take the box of jeans that was damaged and later found out to be poisonous.
Part 1: Do you think J.C. Penney should have done more to prevent those jeans from being sold?
Part 2: What is a store's responsibility to the seller of a certain box of merchandise?
Part 3: Why do you think the delivery person who presented the box didn't think to return the box to the supplier?
Essay Topic 3
When the babies began to get ill and die, the first thing that was checked was the water sources, which did not yield a clear connection.
Part 1: Why do you think germs were present in the water sources, even though they didn't cause the problems?
Part 2: How do you think germs can be eradicated from a hospital?
Part 3: Do you feel safe when you're in a hospital? Why or why not?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)