|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is West Branch located, where the CDC was called in order to deal with an outbreak?
2. In what city was the dermatology clinic that Sara visited in order to have her dermatitis examined?
3. Since Dean was a _________, doctors believed his lower blood oxygen was caused by that exposure.
4. The doctor began to link the problems with smell and taste to troubles with the ________ and zinc levels in the body.
5. What was the universal symptom in the other students who began to get ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Betty's husband experiencing any of the symptoms that she was?
2. How did the doctor end up treating this case of the blue hands, allowing the patient's hands to be normal color again?
3. What was the initial named cause for the random cases of pneumonia that turned up for guests at a house party at Martha's Vineyard?
4. Why did Natalie decide to seek out orthodontic treatment for her teeth in 1972?
5. What does the book point out is the treatment for Wilson's disease, helping the patient recover nearly immediately?
6. What did the school officials begin to believe was the cause of the illnesses that were coming up in the student population?
7. What was the problem the investigators found during their hunt for answers about the infected babies?
8. What does the chapter say seems to be a primary cause of sensitization of patients to metals?
9. What did investigators find to be unusual about the feed in the storage bin?
10. Why was the meat the cause of the thyroid issues in Richard and in others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the babies began to get ill and die, the first thing that was checked was the water sources, which did not yield a clear connection.
Part 1: Why do you think germs were present in the water sources, even though they didn't cause the problems?
Part 2: How do you think germs can be eradicated from a hospital?
Part 3: Do you feel safe when you're in a hospital? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Natalie Parker had a bad experience with her dentist, leading to a depression, which led her into a mental health hospital and electroshock treatments.
Part 1: How do you think a doctor might treat depression today?
Part 2: Do you think that electroshock therapy is the best way to help a patient who is suffering from depression?
Part 3: What do you think you would have done if you learned you had had electroshock therapy?
Essay Topic 3
Using cheap feed from another farmer leads to the mercury poisoning of the family and of many hogs.
Part 1: Why do you think people use feed that might not be safe for their animals?
Part 2: Do you think the best quality food should always be used for animals?
Part 3: How do you think the government could help farmers always use the best feed for their animals?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)