|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ disease is an inherited condition that changes the way the body metabolizes _________, which causes the mental symptoms.
2. Carol Terry began to show signs of shakiness and _________ at the start, but these symptoms began to grow worse.
3. Dean put his hands into his armpits to make his hands warmer when he was the ________ for a hand.
4. What was the name of the fungicide that cause the troubles in the feed that was given to the animals?
5. In what city was the dermatology clinic that Sara visited in order to have her dermatitis examined?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dean decide to do when he was experiencing cold hands during a card game?
2. What was the problem with the season being winter when it came to finding out the diagnosis for the sick children?
3. How is infectious hepatitis usually passed from one person to another, according to the book?
4. What did the school officials begin to believe was the cause of the illnesses that were coming up in the student population?
5. Why was the meat the cause of the thyroid issues in Richard and in others?
6. How did the doctor end up treating this case of the blue hands, allowing the patient's hands to be normal color again?
7. Which individuals are more likely to have hypogeusia, according to the specialist in this section?
8. What happened to Sandy that began to cause the officials at the school to suspect something was wrong at the building?
9. Why didn't the man who hand kneaded the dough cause any infection to spread when the bread was baked?
10. What were the initial symptoms that Betty Page experienced, leading her to seek out medical treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food poisoning seems to be a common thread in this book, leading to many instances in which the illness is a mystery to doctors.
Part 1: Why do you think food poisoning is something that continues to happen in today's world?
Part 2: How do you think a person might be able to prevent food poisoning all of the time?
Part 3: Do you think that the health department is to blame for food poisoning?
Essay Topic 2
The woman who did not have anything wrong with her, but experienced vertigo was a medical mystery from start to finish, with no diagnosis.
Part 1: Why do you think the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with the professional woman?
Part 2: Do you think the woman might have been lying about her life and her symptoms?
Part 3: Describe a time when you had a symptom that you could not explain. What happened?
Essay Topic 3
Using cheap feed from another farmer leads to the mercury poisoning of the family and of many hogs.
Part 1: Why do you think people use feed that might not be safe for their animals?
Part 2: Do you think the best quality food should always be used for animals?
Part 3: How do you think the government could help farmers always use the best feed for their animals?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)