|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of animals were responsible for spreading the infection through the house party guests?
2. What was the game that Dean Berger loved to play, so he entered a competition in order to play it and to win?
3. What was the food product that seemed to be causing the thyroid troubles in Richard and in others?
4. What is the chemical that the doctor used in order to relieve Dean's blue hands?
5. What is the standard treatment for hepatitis once it is identified in a patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is infectious hepatitis usually passed from one person to another, according to the book?
2. Septicemia a general term for what, according to the explanations in this book?
3. How did the doctor end up treating this case of the blue hands, allowing the patient's hands to be normal color again?
4. What did Dean decide to do when he was experiencing cold hands during a card game?
5. What does the chapter say seems to be a primary cause of sensitization of patients to metals?
6. Why was the meat the cause of the thyroid issues in Richard and in others?
7. What did the school officials begin to believe was the cause of the illnesses that were coming up in the student population?
8. Why didn't the man who hand kneaded the dough cause any infection to spread when the bread was baked?
9. What does the book point out is the treatment for Wilson's disease, helping the patient recover nearly immediately?
10. What were the initial symptoms that Betty Page experienced, leading her to seek out medical treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natalie Parker had a bad experience with her dentist, leading to a depression, which led her into a mental health hospital and electroshock treatments.
Part 1: How do you think a doctor might treat depression today?
Part 2: Do you think that electroshock therapy is the best way to help a patient who is suffering from depression?
Part 3: What do you think you would have done if you learned you had had electroshock therapy?
Essay Topic 2
Aspirin, while being a helpful drug, also has side effects and things that can cause problems for those who take it for relief.
Part 1: Why do you think aspirin continues to be a popular drug today?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to have a drug that doesn't have any side effects?
Part 3: How do you think a drug could be formulated to be completely safe?
Essay Topic 3
Finding out what causes an illness can be an exciting job, but one that might be time consuming and challenging too.
Part 1: Why do you think illnesses can be difficult to diagnose?
Part 2: How do you think a person trains to be able to diagnose a mysterious illness?
Part 3: Do you think you would like to become a medical detective?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)