|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the things that the woman thought was happening to her was that she was ___________.
2. In what year did the case of the eleven men take place, according to the book?
3. How many cases of illness had popped up by the time the medical team came in to investigate?
4. Where is Vernon's home, according to the story, the place where he finally received the correct treatment?
5. What is the source of the infection that was afflicting people in this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the event that Herman had attended which led the doctor to the appropriate diagnosis?
2. What happens when it is found out that a person is a carrier of typhoid fever, even if they don't have any symptoms?
3. What are some of the painful side effects of aspirin in some people who take it?
4. What were the severe symptoms that the woman had when she was admitted to the hospital before she died?
5. What was the eventual diagnosis for the condition from which the woman suffered, even though it was never clear whether or not the diagnosis was correct?
6. What is the cause of death for a person who has contracted rabies and is not able to get treatment in time?
7. Who were the people to become ill after eating lunch together, more ill than the ones with whom they dined?
8. Why didn't some of the children become ill in the same way that Billy did when he wore the jeans?
9. What were the two things that were learned by the health department when a misdiagnosis was suspected in the case of the elderly men?
10. What ended up causing the contamination of the fruit at Tony's Market, leading to the illnesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Hoffman was infected with anthrax during his insulation installation job.
Part 1: Do you think that proper safety precautions would have prevented the case of anthrax?
Part 2: Do you think that insulation should be tested before it is installed?
Part 3: How do you think you would respond to hearing that you had anthrax?
Essay Topic 2
Food poisoning seems to be a common thread in this book, leading to many instances in which the illness is a mystery to doctors.
Part 1: Why do you think food poisoning is something that continues to happen in today's world?
Part 2: How do you think a person might be able to prevent food poisoning all of the time?
Part 3: Do you think that the health department is to blame for food poisoning?
Essay Topic 3
A plant grafting leads to a medical mystery that turns out to be a problem of Jimson weed ingestion.
Part 1: Why do you think a person who grafts plants doesn't realize what plant they have grafted?
Part 2: How do you think this poisoning could have been prevented?
Part 3: Do you worry about the foods you eat when you sit down at a restaurant or with friends?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)