|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the treatment that was started on Hoffman in order to treat the supposed infection at the time?
2. What is the name of the empty sac that can develop for no apparent reason, which showed up in Turner's test results?
3. What was the name of the fruit market that was discovered to be the source of the contamination and disease?
4. Whocooked the pig that was served at the fest where people became ill?
5. Turner simply called his complexion __________ since he hadn't noticed the gradual change.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the men who were eating the oatmeal more likely to have more salt on their oatmeal than others who were in the diner?
2. How is the disease of typhoid fever spread, according to those who have studied it in the medical world?
3. What did the local public health official find out about the health of the students who were impacted by the infection?
4. What happened when the eleven men were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning when they were first seen by medical professionals?
5. What were the severe symptoms that the woman had when she was admitted to the hospital before she died?
6. What were the two things that were learned by the health department when a misdiagnosis was suspected in the case of the elderly men?
7. What happens when it is found out that a person is a carrier of typhoid fever, even if they don't have any symptoms?
8. What was the event that Herman had attended which led the doctor to the appropriate diagnosis?
9. What is the cause of death for a person who has contracted rabies and is not able to get treatment in time?
10. What was the strange sensation the 'essentially normal' woman began to experience, leading to discomfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cause of the blueness in the men was determined to be an accidental poisoning in the food.
Part 1: Do you think poisoning happens a lot in the foods you eat?
Part 2: How do you think the poisoning could have been avoided?
Part 3: Why do you think the restaurant didn't realize that it had made a mistake?
Essay Topic 2
A plant grafting leads to a medical mystery that turns out to be a problem of Jimson weed ingestion.
Part 1: Why do you think a person who grafts plants doesn't realize what plant they have grafted?
Part 2: How do you think this poisoning could have been prevented?
Part 3: Do you worry about the foods you eat when you sit down at a restaurant or with friends?
Essay Topic 3
Aspirin, while being a helpful drug, also has side effects and things that can cause problems for those who take it for relief.
Part 1: Why do you think aspirin continues to be a popular drug today?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to have a drug that doesn't have any side effects?
Part 3: How do you think a drug could be formulated to be completely safe?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)