|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rick take the spotting telescope?
2. Who do Lon and Rick go after at the end of chapter 20?
3. What does Lon tell Rick to do if he is not back in an hour?
4. What does Rick notice Gunderson doing?
5. What does Rick tell Josh on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rick feel when he hang glides with Lon the first time and what does Lon tell him to do? How does Rick feel after he is settled on the glider?
2. How does Lon catch M4?
3. What does Lon do about M4 flying in the wrong direction, and what does he decide to do when that fails?
4. Why does Lon call Rick Icarus, what does Rick ask about the cliffs and what is Lon's response?
5. What does Rick learn has happened with Lon?
6. What does Rick do after he hears the men talking about Lon?
7. What does Rick finally tell Lon about himself?
8. How does Rick help Lon after Lon captures M4?
9. What does Rick do on his third and fourth day hang gliding?
10. How does Rick's attempt at hang gliding by himself work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "The Maze" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "The Maze"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "The Maze" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Maze"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Maze" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Maze" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)