|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Rick about the condor's heart rate?
2. What do Lon and Rick see back at the camp?
3. How high does Rick go on his hang gliding practice session?
4. Who scares off the other birds from the carcass?
5. What does Rick think the judge will not take seriously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rick do on his third and fourth day hang gliding?
2. How does M4 end up dead?
3. How does Rick hike in the Maze and what does he find there? Why is Lon excited when Rick returns from the maze?
4. What does Carlile tell Lon about gunshots he and Rick hear and what does Lon tell Rick to do when they leave Carlile's camp?
5. What does Lon tell Rick he will do with Rick, what do they discover missing, what does Rick say about the story of Icarus and who do they think have stolen their missing items?
6. How does Lon catch M4?
7. What does Rick do about Carlile and finding Lon's missing items?
8. How does Rick end up getting chased by Nuke's dog, and how does he manage to get away?
9. What does Rick learn has happened with Lon?
10. What does Lon tell Josh about M4, what favor does he ask of Josh and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Maze". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in the story. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Maze". Consider the death of not just M4 and Rick's grandmother, but the death of the Rick's past, and how these events have affected him. Trace the point when Rick decides to let his past go and move forward.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Maze" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Maze" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Maze".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this novel. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Maze". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)