|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is M4's behavior a concern to Lon?
2. What kind of gear does Rick find in Lon's tent?
3. Why might Lon be in trouble?
4. For how long is Rick sentenced to the Detention Center?
5. What does Rick tell the man happened to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lon concerned about M,4 and what does he do about it?
2. Why is Rick worried because his social worker was fired, and what does he plan to do about his fears?
3. What does Rick tell Lon about the camp when Lon was gone, what is Lon's response and what warning does he give Rick?
4. What does Rick's social worker tell the judge about Rick's life, and about how well the social worker knows Rick?
5. What do Lon and Rick do after Joe leaves, what does Rick ask Lon and what is Lon's response?
6. What does Rick dream his second night in the camp and what wakes him?
7. What does Rick see as he looks around the camp and what does he consider stealing?
8. Why is Nuke opposing Lon?
9. What does Lon do when he and Rick return to the camp?
10. What does Rick think about as he is riding in a camper in which he hid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Maze". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in the story. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Maze". Consider the death of not just M4 and Rick's grandmother, but the death of the Rick's past, and how these events have affected him. Trace the point when Rick decides to let his past go and move forward.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Maze"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Maze" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Maze" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)