|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lon say about his people skills?
2. Why are the men upset with Lon's activities?
3. What kind of vehicle pulls into the camp?
4. What occupation did Nuke used to have?
5. Where is Rick at the opening to chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two condors doing while an eagle is feeding and how do the condors feed?
2. What does Rick learn from the man about where he is?
3. What does Rick find out about the restrained eagle and other animals?
4. What does Killian whisper to Rick that frightens him, and what does Rick decide to do about it?
5. What does Rick find in Lon's tent?
6. How does Rick end up at a gas station where a Humvee is parked?
7. What is Lon doing when Rick wakes from his nap after Joe left, and what does Lon call M4 and why?
8. Why has Rick been brought before a judge, what does he say about his actions and how does the judge view Rick?
9. Where is the camper driving, and what does Rick find when he looks for food?
10. What does Lon tell Rick about M4, what does he point out to Rick and what does he tell Rick about the visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Maze".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this novel. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Maze". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Maze". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobbs chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hobbs chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hobbs's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hobbs use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Maze" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Maze" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)