|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Thomas been unconscious when he awakens in Chapter Forty-Eight?
2. What word from the code will the computer not allow Teresa to enter in Chapter Fifty-Seven?
3. Who have the Grievers taken in Chapter Forty-Six when Thomas goes about enacting his plan?
4. Who does Thomas say the Creators named him after in Chapter Forty-Nine?
5. What does Thomas hear Teresa saying in his head as he falls asleep in the end of Chapter Thirty-Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does Gally commit when he appears in Chapter Thirty-Nine? What becomes of Gally in the chapter?
2. How does Thomas go about testing and proving his theory in Chapter Forty-Two?
3. What document comprises the Epilogue of The Maze Runner? Who is the author of this document?
4. What actions does Thomas commit in order to reach the Griever Hole in Chapter Fifty-Six? How is he supported by the Gladers?
5. How does Thomas describe the histories of himself and the other Gladers after his Changing in Chapter Forty-Nine?
6. What "new problem" does Newt present in Chapter Forty? Why does this problem become an issue for Thomas in the chapter?
7. Who greets Thomas when he awakens in Chapter Forty-Eight? How long has Thomas slept?
8. Why does Thomas leave the Gathering in Chapter Fifty-Two? Where does he go, and why?
9. What do Thomas and the other Gladers encounter when they exit the Maze in Chapter Fifty-Nine? Who greets them?
10. Why do Minho and Thomas return to the Glade in Chapter Forty-Four? What does Minho deduct from their experiences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the publication and genre of The Maze Runner. How many novels has the author written? What genres is he notable for? How did the Maze Runner fare critically upon publication? Do you agree or disagree with critics of the novel? In what ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of trust in The Maze Runner. How is this theme developed through the main characters? How is the theme illustrated through symbolism and imagery in the novel? Why is trust important to the characters in the story? How important is trust to you?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Grievers and beetle blades in The Maze Runner. What are some examples of imagery used in the author’s descriptions of these creatures? How do you envision these beasts? What symbolism is attached to the creatures?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)