|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Newt think they should enact Thomas's plan in Chapter Fifty-Two?
2. What word is written on the breast pocket of the woman's shirt that enters the room with the Gladers in Chapter Fifty-Nine?
3. What color hair is Teresa described as having?
4. By which entrance do the Gladers enter the Maze in Chapter Fifty-Four?
5. Who coined the phrase "Survival of the Fittest" after reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas demand in exchange for sharing his theory in Chapter Forty-One?
2. What "new problem" does Newt present in Chapter Forty? Why does this problem become an issue for Thomas in the chapter?
3. What happens when the Gladers reach the Cliff in Chapter Fifty-Five? Who sacrifices himself?
4. How does the woman rescuer describe the events surrounding "the Flare" in Chapter Sixty-One?
5. How does Thomas describe the histories of himself and the other Gladers after his Changing in Chapter Forty-Nine?
6. What does Thomas insist on doing immediately in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why?
7. What does Alby confess to in Chapter Fifty-One? Why does Alby say he committed this action?
8. How does Thomas go about testing and proving his theory in Chapter Forty-Two?
9. What do Thomas and the other Gladers encounter when they exit the Maze in Chapter Fifty-Nine? Who greets them?
10. Why does Thomas leave the Gathering in Chapter Fifty-Two? Where does he go, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss aspects of symbolism seen in the Banishing ritual in when Ben is Banished. In what ways might you compare this ritual to rituals you’ve experienced in school, church, etc.? How does the employment of ritual relate to society? What symbols are seen in this ritual?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Thomas’s discoveries in the falling action and denouement of the narrative. What does Thomas discover about “the Flare” and the history of the world. Why were the Gladers taken and placed in the Glade? What indications of foreshadowing in the novel’s ending suggest further novels to come?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the settings of the Weapons Room and the Map Room in the Glade. What weapons are contained in the Weapons Room? Which of these do the Runners use? How does the Map Room differ from Thomas’s expectations?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)