|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the charge against the Grievers in Chapter Fifty-Six?
2. Where do Minho and Thomas go in the Glade when they return from the Maze in Chapter Thirty-Three?
3. Who do the Gladers go to in order to get the paper requested by Thomas in Chapter Forty-Two?
4. What Section of the Maze do Minho and Thomas enter into in the beginning of Chapter Thirty-Three?
5. What is Teresa doing in the Slammer while the Homestead is attacked by the Grievers in Chapter Forty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Thomas's first journey into the Maze as a Runner described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
2. What happens when the Gladers reach the Cliff in Chapter Fifty-Five? Who sacrifices himself?
3. Why does Thomas leave the Gathering in Chapter Fifty-Two? Where does he go, and why?
4. What happens as the Grievers close in on the Homestead in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
5. How does the woman rescuer describe the events surrounding "the Flare" in Chapter Sixty-One?
6. How does Thomas explain the sunless sky and the arrival of him and Teresa at the Gathering in Chapter Forty-Nine?
7. What is the threat that is imposed by the Doors not closing in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What do the Gladers do to prepare for this threat?
8. Why does Teresa have a problem inputting the code in Chapter Fifty-Seven? How is this dilemma solved?
9. How does Thomas go about enacting his plan to be stung by a Griever in Chapter Forty-Six?
10. What "new problem" does Newt present in Chapter Forty? Why does this problem become an issue for Thomas in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the narrative style of the novel. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told from a present or past tense? Why do you think the author made these choices? How would the story differ if the narrative style were changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Grievers and beetle blades in The Maze Runner. What are some examples of imagery used in the author’s descriptions of these creatures? How do you envision these beasts? What symbolism is attached to the creatures?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Ben in the novel. What has happened to Ben just before Thomas arrives at the Glade? How has this event impacted Ben’s behavior and personality? Why does Ben attack Thomas in the narrative, and who defends Thomas?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)