|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Gladers has Gally told the Gladers that the Grievers will take each night in Chapter Forty?
2. At what time of night do Minho and Thomas see the first Griever in the Maze in Chapter Forty-Four?
3. Who supposedly found the injured Alby by the Map Room, according to Minho in Chapter Forty-One?
4. Who have the Grievers taken in Chapter Forty-Six when Thomas goes about enacting his plan?
5. What color hair is Teresa described as having?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas demand in exchange for sharing his theory in Chapter Forty-One?
2. What happens as the Grievers close in on the Homestead in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
3. What happens when the Gladers reach the Cliff in Chapter Fifty-Five? Who sacrifices himself?
4. What document comprises the Epilogue of The Maze Runner? Who is the author of this document?
5. What do Thomas and the other Gladers encounter when they exit the Maze in Chapter Fifty-Nine? Who greets them?
6. Who greets Thomas and Minho when they return to the Glade in Chapter Forty-Five? What information is related to them?
7. How does the woman rescuer describe the events surrounding "the Flare" in Chapter Sixty-One?
8. Why does Thomas leave the Gathering in Chapter Fifty-Two? Where does he go, and why?
9. What actions does Thomas commit in order to reach the Griever Hole in Chapter Fifty-Six? How is he supported by the Gladers?
10. How does Thomas explain the sunless sky and the arrival of him and Teresa at the Gathering in Chapter Forty-Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Grievers and beetle blades in The Maze Runner. What are some examples of imagery used in the author’s descriptions of these creatures? How do you envision these beasts? What symbolism is attached to the creatures?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the narrative style of the novel. Is the story related from a first, second, or third person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Is the story told from a present or past tense? Why do you think the author made these choices? How would the story differ if the narrative style were changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of justice in The Maze Runner. How is “theme” defined in literature? What is the relationship between themes, symbolism, and imagery? How is the theme of justice illustrated through the character of Newt? How is this theme explored in the Banishing?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)