|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Thomas out of the Gathering so that the Keepers can discuss the potential plan in Chapter Fifty-Two?
2. When Thomas goes through the Changing in Chapter Forty-Seven, he envisions the image of what coming toward him and consuming him?
3. Who are set to be the backups to enter the code if something should happen to Thomas and Teresa?
4. What food are the Gladers given to eat for dinner by the rescuers after they reach the dormitory area in Chapter Sixty-One?
5. What Section of the Maze do Minho and Thomas enter into in the beginning of Chapter Thirty-Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the threat that is imposed by the Doors not closing in Chapter Thirty-Seven? What do the Gladers do to prepare for this threat?
2. What actions does Thomas commit in order to reach the Griever Hole in Chapter Fifty-Six? How is he supported by the Gladers?
3. Why is Thomas conflicted about going into the Maze in Chapter Forty-Three?
4. Who greets Thomas and Minho when they return to the Glade in Chapter Forty-Five? What information is related to them?
5. How is Thomas's first journey into the Maze as a Runner described in Chapter Thirty-Three?
6. What does Thomas demand in exchange for sharing his theory in Chapter Forty-One?
7. What information does Thomas learn from Teresa when they first officially meet in Chapter Thirty-Six?
8. What does Thomas insist on doing immediately in Chapter Forty-Eight? Why?
9. What deductions do Thomas and Minho make regarding the Cliff in Chapter Thirty-Five?
10. What happens as the Grievers close in on the Homestead in Chapter Thirty-Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Ben in the novel. What has happened to Ben just before Thomas arrives at the Glade? How has this event impacted Ben’s behavior and personality? Why does Ben attack Thomas in the narrative, and who defends Thomas?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deliberation of the Keepers and their decision for Thomas’s punishment and assignment after saving Alby in the Maze. Do you believe that the Keepers chose a fair plan for Thomas? Why or why not? How does Thomas respond to the plan?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the reactions of the Gladers when Thomas and Minho return to the Glade after first spending the night in the Maze. Why is this activity so profound to the Gladers? How do you think this has changed the way that Thomas is perceived by the others? How does it change their perception of the Maze?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)